Friday 24 June 1960
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Cathy's Clown by The Everly Brothers.
In UK Three Steps To Heaven by Eddie Cochran was in the top 5 hits.
13 Ghosts, directed by William Castle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1960.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 June 1960!
Which were the important events of 24 June 1960 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of Saint John the Baptist, patron saint of QuTbec
- Discovery Day in Newfoundland and Labrador (celebrating the 1497 discovery by John Cabot)
- Bannockburn Day in Scotland (see 1314 above)
- Quarter days in England
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Rahmat (Mercy) - First day of the sixth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Battle of Carabobo Day in Venezuela (1821)
- FOte nationale du QuTbec, also called St-Jean-Baptiste Day
- Day of Indian in Peru
- Original Midsummer's Eve in Finland and Sweden, although the official holiday is now moved to the nearest Friday
- St. John's Day in Estonia and Sao Joao in Porto
- Festival of San Juan observed in Bolivia and Peru
- American Radio Relay League - Field Day 2006
- Juli Inkster: Santa Cruz, California -- LPGA golfer (Dinah Shore-1984, 89).
- Nate Carr: Erie, Pennsylvania -- Freestyle wrestler (1988 Olympics - Bronze Medalist).
- Karin Pilsater: Swedish politician.
- Elish Angiolini: Scottish lawyer judge and politician Solicitor General for Scotland.
- Walter Ellis: American serial killer (d. 2013).
- Siedah Garrett: American singer-songwriter and pianist (Brand New Heavies)
- Karin Pilsäter: Swedish accountant and politician
- Erik Poppe: Norwegian director cinematographer and screenwriter
- Joseph Kasavubu is elected as the first President of the independent Congo.
- British Somaliland receives its independence from the United Kingdom. Five days later, it unites with Somalia (the former Italian Somaliland) to create the Somalia.
- The Malagasy Republic, now Madagascar, becomes independent from France
- The Belgian Congo receives its independence from Belgium as the Republic of the Congo (Léopoldville). A civil war followed closely on the heels of this.
- Public demonstrations by democratic and left forces, against Italian government support of the post-fascist Italian Social Movement, are heavily suppressed by police.
- Ghana becomes a republic and Kwame Nkrumah becomes its first President.
- Cold War: A Soviet Air Force MiG-19 fighter plane flying north of Murmansk, Russia, over the Barents Sea shoots down a six-man RB-47 Stratojet reconnaissance plane of the U.S. Air Force. Four of the U.S. Air Force officers are killed, and the two survivors are held prisoner in the Soviet Union
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Everly Brothers - Cathy's Clown
- Connie Francis - Everybody's Somebody's Fool
- Jack Scott - Burning Bridges
- Jimmy Jones - Good Timin'
- Bobby Rydell - Swingin' School
- Hollywood Argyles - Alley-Oop
- Anita Bryant - Paper Roses
- Ron Holden - Love You So
- Jeanne Black - He'll Have To Stay
- Elvis Presley - Stuck On You
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?