Friday 24 March 1944
It was Friday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include R Lee Ermey and Denny McLain baseball pitcher (Detroit Tigers.
Cover Girl, directed by Charles Vidor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 March 1944!
Which were the important events of 24 March 1944 ?
- World Tuberculosis Day.
- Saint Simeon (died 1475)
- Ancient Latvia - Kazimiras Diena observed.
- Saint Catharine of Sweden ((died 1381)
- R Lee Ermey: American actor.
- Denny McLain baseball pitcher (Detroit Tigers: 31 wins in 1968).
- Dominique Bromberger: French political commentator and TV journalist.
- Vojislav Kostunica: Serbian politician, president on 10/05/2000 with the overthrow of Slobadan Milosevic.
- R Ermey: American sergeant and actor.
- Vojislav Koštunica: Serbian academic and politician 8th Prime Minister of Serbia
- Orde Charles Wingate: British Major-General, prominent Zionist, eccentric (Born 1903).
- 811 British bombers attack Berlin
- In occupied Rome, Nazis execute more than 300 civilians
- 76 Allied officers escape Stalag Luft 3 (Great Escape).
- Ardeatine Massacre: German troops kill 335 Italian civilians in Rome.
- World War II: In an event later dramatized in the movie The Great Escape, 76 prisoners begin breaking out of Stalag Luft III.
- In the Polish village of Markowa, German police kill Józef and Wiktoria Ulm, their six children and eight Jews they were hiding.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1944 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- It's Love-Love-Love - Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?