Wednesday 24 May 1961
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Mother-In-Law by Ernie K-Doe.
In UK Blue Moon by The Marcels was in the top 5 hits.
A Raisin in the Sun, directed by Daniel Petrie, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 May 1961!
Which were the important events of 24 May 1961 ?
- Aldersgate Day (Methodism).
- Canada: Victoria Day, on this date or the Monday before it. In Quebec, it is known as National Patriotes Day (JournTe nationale des patriotes). The holiday is often referred to as "May Two-Four," -- a "two-four" being slang for a case of beer with 24 bottles or cans.
- Bermuda: Bermuda Day.
- Eritrea: National Day.
- Macedonia: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Macedonian Script and Culture Day.
- Saints Donatianus and Rogatianus
- Saint Amadl
- Saint Suzanna
- Mary, Help of the Christians
- Saint Sarah is celebrated in Camargue, France by the Roma or Gypsies.
- Bulgaria: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Script Day.
- Tim Burness: English musician (progressive rock/pop/ambient tendencies), astrologer for over 25 years, and nursing care and support worker.
- Ilaria Alpi: Italian journalist, killed by terrorists in Somalia on 3/20/1994.
- Show Aikawa: Japanese actor.
- Lorella Cedroni: Italian philosopher and theorist (d. 2013).
- Alain Lemieux: Canadian-American ice hockey player and coach.
- American civil rights movement: Freedom Riders are arrested in Jackson, Mississippi for ''disturbing the peace'' after disembarking from their bus.
- Explorer 12 fails to reach Earth orbit.
- Cyprus enters the Council of Europe.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Roy Orbison - Running Scared
- Shep and the Limelites - Daddy's Home
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- Linda Scott - I've Told Every Little Star
- The Shirelles - Mama Said
- Connie Francis - Breakin' In A Brand New Broken Heart
- Ricky Nelson - Hello Mary Lou
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?