Sunday 24 May 1964
It was Sunday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to My Guy by Mary Wells.
In UK Don't Throw Your Love Away by The Searchers was in the top 5 hits.
Le Trou, directed by Jacques Becker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1964
while The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John le Carré was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1964.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 May 1964!
Which were the important events of 24 May 1964 ?
- Aldersgate Day (Methodism).
- Canada: Victoria Day, on this date or the Monday before it. In Quebec, it is known as National Patriotes Day (JournTe nationale des patriotes). The holiday is often referred to as "May Two-Four," -- a "two-four" being slang for a case of beer with 24 bottles or cans.
- Bermuda: Bermuda Day.
- Eritrea: National Day.
- Macedonia: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Macedonian Script and Culture Day.
- Saints Donatianus and Rogatianus
- Saint Amadl
- Saint Suzanna
- Mary, Help of the Christians
- Saint Sarah is celebrated in Camargue, France by the Roma or Gypsies.
- Bulgaria: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Script Day.
- Patrice Martin: French water skier who was European champion at 13 and world champion at 14.
- Adrian Moorhouse: British 100m breaststroker (1988 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Isidro Pérez: Mexican boxer (d. 2013).
- Pat Verbeek: Canadian ice hockey player and manager.
- Elizabeth McColgan: British running star (world record 5 km indoor).
- Pat Verbeek in Sarnia: Ontario, Canada; NHL forward (Team Canada, New York Rangers).
- Liz McColgan: Scottish middle and long-distance runner, a silver medal champion at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul.
- 18th Tony Awards: Luther and Hello Dolly win.
- Betsy Rawls wins LPGA Dallas Civitan Golf Open Invitational.
- Panic in Lima, Peru soccer stadium; 300 killed.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1964 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Mary Wells - My Guy
- The Beatles - Love Me Do
- Louis Armstrong - Hello, Dolly!
- The Dixie Cups - Chapel Of Love
- Ray Charles Singers - Love Me With All Your Heart (Cuando Calienta El Sol)
- The Dave Clark Five - Bits And Pieces
- The Reflections - (Just Like) Romeo And Juliet
- The 4 Seasons - Ronnie
- Roy Orbison - It's Over
- Peter and Gordon - A World Without Love
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?