Wednesday 24 May 1989
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Tara Correa-McMullen and G-Eazy .
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Forever Your Girl by Paula Abdul.
In UK Hand On Your Heart by Kylie Minogue was in the top 5 hits.
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, directed by Steven Spielberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Absolutely.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Dragon Wars or DuckTales.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 May 1989!
Which were the important events of 24 May 1989 ?
- Aldersgate Day (Methodism).
- Canada: Victoria Day, on this date or the Monday before it. In Quebec, it is known as National Patriotes Day (JournTe nationale des patriotes). The holiday is often referred to as "May Two-Four," -- a "two-four" being slang for a case of beer with 24 bottles or cans.
- Bermuda: Bermuda Day.
- Eritrea: National Day.
- Macedonia: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Macedonian Script and Culture Day.
- Saints Donatianus and Rogatianus
- Saint Amadl
- Saint Suzanna
- Mary, Help of the Christians
- Saint Sarah is celebrated in Camargue, France by the Roma or Gypsies.
- Bulgaria: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Script Day.
- Tara Correa-McMullen: American actress, killed when suspected gang members opened fire outside an apartment complex in Inglewood, California on 21 October 2005.
- G-Eazy : Rapper.
- Emil Conrad: YouTube Star.
- Yannick Bolasie: Soccer Player.
- Mellie Stanley: Reality Star.
- Herwig Hensen [Flor Mielants]: Flemish dramatist/poet, dies at age 72.
- Indiana Jones & Last Crusade premieres
- French war criminal Paul Touvier arrested in monastery in Nice
- Weird Al Yankovic records his UHF soundtrack
- New York Yankees' pitcher Lee Gutterman sets record of pitching 30-2/3 innings before giving up his first run of the season.
- AC Milan wins 34th Europe Cup 1 at Barcelona, Spain.
- Sonia Sutcliffe, wife of the Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe, is awarded ?600,000 in damages (later reduced to ?60,000 on appeal) after winning a libel action against Private Eye.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Paula Abdul - Forever Your Girl
- Jody Watley - Real Love
- Michael Damian - Rock On
- Donny Osmond - Soldier Of Love
- Guns N' Roses - Patience
- Bette Midler - Wind Beneath My Wings
- New Kids On The Block - I'll Be Loving You (Forever)
- Bobby Brown - Every Little Step
- Bon Jovi - I'll Be There For You
- Lita Ford - Close My Eyes Forever
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?