Tuesday 24 November 2009
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of November people in US were listening to Empire State Of Mind by Jay-Z.
Zvenigora, directed by Aleksandr Dovzhenko, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Tempted by P.C. Cast, Kristin Cast was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 November 2009!
Which were the important events of 24 November 2009 ?
- Roman festivals - in the Byzantine empire the Brumalia (a wine festival) were celebrated from this day until the winter solstice
- R.C. Saints - Saint Andrew Dung-Lac and other Vietnamese martyrs
- Also see November 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Feast Day of St. Colman - Cobh, Ireland
- Teacher's Day in Turkey
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 24 November
- An appeal court in Casablanca, Morocco, upholds a three year jail term against a human rights activist, Chahib Khayari, for ampquotoffending the authoritiesampquot after accusing top officials of being involved in drug networks. (IOL)
- Two French charity workers are kidnapped in the Central African Republic, in the latest in a series of kidnappings. (Afrik.com)
- Four people are killed in a helicopter crash off the coast of Netanya in northern Israel. (Trend News Agency)
- A nationwide public service strike involving medical staff, teachers and civil servants takes place in areas of Ireland not badly affected by recent ongoing flooding. (''Irish Independent'')
- The Government of Ireland announces a €10 million humanitarian fund for the worst affected by ongoing floods in the country. (RTÉ)
- Over 1,500 complaints are received from American viewers after a gay kiss involving Adam Lambert is televised during an awards ceremony. (BBC)
- Iran lifts a ban on one of its best-selling newspapers, ''Hamshahri'', a day after it was banned from publication after publishing a picture of a temple from the banned Baha'i faith. (Reuters)
- The trial of two Congolese militia leaders, Germain Katanga and Mathieu Ngudjolo Chui, begins at the International Criminal Court in The Hague. (AP)
- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev orders an investigation into the death of an anti-corruption lawyer Sergei Magnitsky who died in prison while awaiting trial on charges of tax evasion. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- The European Parliament approves a major overhaul of telecommunications systems in the European Union aimed at boosting the rights of mobile and internet users. (euronews)
- An inquiry opens in the United Kingdom over the country's involvement in the Iraq War. (Angola Press)
- Pirates kill a Ukrainian sailor after an oil tanker is attacked off the coast of Benin. (Press TV)
- China executes two people for their role in the tainted milk poisoning scandal. (Al Jazeera)
- In a tribute to Hindu goddess Gadhimai, approximately 20,000 buffalo and 300,000 birds, sheep and goats are ritually slaughtered in a festival in Bariyapur, Nepal. (CNN)
- Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo declares a state of emergency in the entire Maguindanao province in southern Philippines following the bloodiest election-related massacre in Philippine history which left at least 40 people dead, including a local politician and about a dozen journalists. (ABS-CBN News)
- In the Northern Mariana Islands' first ever runoff, incumbent Governor Benigno Fitial of the Covenant Party leads Republican Party Rep. Heinz Hofschneider by 501 votes. (''Saipan Tribune'')
- An estimated 1,200 absentee ballots still need to be counted before a winner is declared on December 7, 2009. (''Saipan Tribune'')
- Web browser Opera closes a loophole which allowed Chinese users to access websites banned by the government. (BBC)
- Chilean writer and historian, José Arraño Acevedo dies at the age of 88.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?