Tuesday 24 October 1939
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Uri Sharvit and F Murray Abraham.
Port of Shadows, directed by Marcel Carn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1939!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1939 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- Uri Sharvit: Composer.
- F Murray Abraham: American actor.
- Paula Allen: Native American poet, literary critic, lesbian activist, and novelist.
- Jean Peyrelevade: French center-left politician and business leader.
- John Adye: English intelligence officer.
- F Abraham: American actor
- Joe DiMaggio wins AL MVP, Jimmie Foxx is runner-up
- Nazi require wearing of star of David
- Nylon stockings go on sale for first time (Wilmington, Delaware, USA).
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?