Sunday 24 October 1948
It was Sunday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Red Shoes, directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1948.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1948!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1948 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- Paul and Barry Ryan: British composer-singers.
- Dale "Buffin" Griffin: Rock drummer (Mott The Hoople).
- Phil Bennett: Welsh rugby player.
- Barry Ryan: English singer-songwriter.
- Paul Ryan: English singer-songwriter and producer (d. 1992).
- Kweisi Mfume: American civil rights activist, U.S. Congressman from Maryland
- Franz Lehar: Hungarian writer and composer of light operas.
- Bernard M Baruch introduces term Cold War
- Pope Pius XII publishes encyclical In Multiplicibus Curis
- WJBK TV channel 2 in Detroit, MI (CBS) begins broadcasting
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1948 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Kay Kyser & His Orchestra - On a Slow Boat to China
- One Has My Name (The Other Has My Heart) - Jimmy Wakely
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?