Saturday 24 October 1959
It was Saturday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Dominique Baert and Gunnar Bakke.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Mack The Knife by Bobby Darin.
In UK Mack The Knife by Bobby Darin was in the top 5 hits.
The Mouse That Roared, directed by Jack Arnold, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mr. Lucky.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1959!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1959 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- Dominique Baert: French politician, a member of the National Assembly of France who represents the Nord department.
- Gunnar Bakke: Norwegian banker and politician 65th Mayor of Bergen.
- Mike Brewer: American baseball player.
- Chihiro Fujioka: Japanese director and composer.
- Michelle Grisham: American lawyer and politician.
- Rowland Howard: Australian guitarist and songwriter (The Birthday Party and These Immortal Souls) (d. 2009)
- Brad Johnson: American model and actor
- Dave Meltzer: American journalist and historian
- Shawn Moody: American businessman and politician
- Ruth Perednik: English-Israeli psychologist and academic
- Denis Troch: French footballer and manager
- Annette Vilhelmsen: Danish educator and politician Danish Minister of Social Affairs
- Anthony Waller: Lebanese-English actor director producer and screenwriter
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 24 October 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Paul Anka - Put Your Head On My Shoulder
- The Fleetwoods - Mr. Blue
- Sandy Nelson - Teen Beat
- The Everly Brothers - ('Til) I Kissed You
- Santo and Johnny - Sleep Walk
- Andy Williams - Lonely Street
- The Coasters - Poison Ivy
- Frankie Avalon - Just Ask Your Heart
- The Browns - The Three Bells
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?