Monday 24 October 1960
It was Monday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to I Want To Be Wanted (Per Tutta La Vita) by Brenda Lee.
In UK Tell Laura I Love Her by Ricky Valance was in the top 5 hits.
The Alamo, directed by John Wayne, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1960!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1960 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- Carolien de Windt: Suriname -- Dutch singer (Mai Tai).
- Dennis Anderson: .
- BD Wong: American actor.
- Ian Baker-Finch: Nambour, Queensland -- PGA golfer (1991 British Open).
- Jaime Garzón: Colombian journalist lawyer and activist (d. 1999).
- Wolfgang Güllich: German rock climber (d. 1992)
- Joachim Winkelhock: German race car driver
- B Wong: American actor and singer
- Jaime Garzon: Colombian journalist and comedian (d. 1999)
- Joachim ''Jo'' Winkelhock: German race car driver
- Disaster on USSR (Baikonoer) launch pad, kills missile expert Nedelin & team (165 die-unconfirmed); USSR claims killed in plane crash
- Nedelin catastrophe: An R-16 ballistic missile explodes on the launch pad at the Soviet Union's Baikonur Cosmodrome space facility, killing over 100. Among the dead is Field Marshal Mitrofan Nedelin, whose death is reported to have occurred in a plane crash
- A large rocket explodes on the launch pad at the Baikonur Cosmodrome, killing at least 90 people of the Soviet space program.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Drifters - Save The Last Dance For Me
- Connie Francis - My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Larry Verne - Mr. Custer
- Brenda Lee - I Want To Be Wanted (Per Tutta La Vita)
- Sam Cooke - Chain Gang
- Bobby Vee - Devil Or Angel
- The Everly Brothers - So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad)
- Bob Luman - Let's Think About Living
- Ferrante and Teicher - Theme From The Apartment
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 24 October 1960 and get them!