Saturday 24 October 1964
It was Saturday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Do Wah Diddy Diddy by Manfred Mann.
In UK Oh Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison was in the top 5 hits.
The Naked Kiss, directed by Samuel Fuller, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1964
while The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John le Carré was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1964.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 1964!
Which were the important events of 24 October 1964 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
- Rosana Arbelo: Spanish singer-songwriter and guitarist.
- Linda Ballantyne: Canadian actress.
- Paul Bonwick: Canadian businessman and politician.
- Grant Gee: English film maker photographer cinematographer.
- Dmitri Gorkov: Russian footballer and manager.
- Janele Hyer-Spencer: American lawyer and politician
- Doug Lee: American basketball player
- Paul Vigay: English computer programmer (d. 2009)
- Ray LeBlanc: American hockey player, goalie with the American Olympic team in Albertville in the 1992 Winter Games.
- Patrick Hunter: NFL cornerback (Arizona Cardinals)
- Toni Kinshofer: German mountaineer (Born 1931).
- Cambridge Circus closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 23 performances
- 18th Olympic games close at Tokyo, Japan
- Dr Kenneth David Kaunda becomes President of Zaire
- Zambia (N Rhodesia) gains independence from Britain (National Day)
- Northern Rhodesia gains independence from the United Kingdom and becomes the Republic of Zambia (Southern Rhodesia remained a colony)
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1964 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Manfred Mann - Do Wah Diddy Diddy
- Martha & the Vandellas - Dancing In The Street
- J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers - Last Kiss
- Gale Garnett - We'll Sing In The Sunshine
- Roy Orbison - Oh, Pretty Woman
- The Supremes - Baby Love
- Chad Stuart and Jeremy Clyde - A Summer Song
- Betty Everett - Let It Be Me
- The Beach Boys - When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
- The Honeycombs - Have I The Right?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?