Sunday 24 October 2010
It was Sunday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars.
Ip Man, directed by Wilson Yip, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Lost Hero: The Heroes of Olympus, Book One by Rick Riordan was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2010.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 2010!
Which were the important events of 24 October 2010 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 24 October
- Six killed in shooting rampage inside militia outpost in Palid, Ipil town, in the Zamboanga Sibugay province of the South Philippines. (''Xinhua'' via PLA)
- South Korea and the United States cancel a joint naval drill against North Korea in the Yellow Sea, citing its previous anti-submarine training -- held from Sept. 27 to Oct. 1 -- and a desire ampquotnot to irritate neighboring countriesampquot ahead of the upcoming 2010 G-20 Seoul summit. (Xinhua)
- Despite the law enforcement agencies being on alert in Karachi city of Pakistan, four more people are killed in the Agra Taj Colony, Kausar Niazi Colony. (''dawn'')
- Somali pirates attack and seize two ships in the Indian Ocean. (AFP via Google News)
- Bang-Bang Club photographer Joao Silva is injured when treading on a mine while working near Arghandab, Afghanistan. (''The Observer'')
- The dismembered corpse of an abducted 9-year-old albino boy is found in a river on the Burundi-Tanzania border and buried. (BBC)
- Fifteen Latin American parliaments pass simultaneous resolutions demanding that the captive Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, held incommunicado for over four years by Hamas, be released. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- ampquotIsraeli commandos fired 308 live bullets at the MV ''Mavi Marmara'' to repel passengers who attacked them with lethal weaponsampquot,says Israel's top general as he testifies before a state-appointed inquest into May's Gaza flotilla raid. (''The Irish Times'')
- The number of visitors to the Shanghai World Expo 2010 topped 70 million. (Xinhua)
- Nobel-winning economist Christopher Pissarides states that Britain's Finance Minister George Osborne is exaggerating the possibility of a crisis and unnecessarily risking the country's economic recovery with his deep spending cuts. (Reuters via ''Arab News'')
- Britain's privacy watchdog is to investigate Google once again, charging it with gathering personal information from private wi-fi networks. Google admits collecting details such as passwords and e-mails. (BBC)
- Chinese Vice Premier Wang Qishan welcomes U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner to the port of Qingdao as the United States objects to what it labels the ampquotartificialampquot value of China's own currency, the yuan. (BBC)
- 2010 strikes in France: Further, larger strikes are planned against government attempts to increase the age of retirement for the country's workers. (''The Observer'')
- President of Ecuador Rafael Correa rejects leniency towards police officers who protested against being stripped of their bonuses, stating on radio that ampquotthis will tear us apart as a societyampquot. (Al Jazeera)
- China and Bangladesh want green technology free of cost. Hasan Mahmud held a meeting with global warming negotiators in the UNFCCC climate talks and chairman of National Development and Reform Commission of China Xie Zhenhua. (bss)
- At least 21 people died and a dozen more seriously injured in a bus accident in Nwoya district, northwestern Uganda. (People)
- 2010 Haitian cholera outbreak:
- Cholera is detected in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, for the first time since the post-earthquake outbreak began. (Al Jazeera)
- The death toll passes 250. (''The Wall Street Journal'')
- Leading Nepalese Sherpa Chhewang Nima, known for climbing Mount Everest 19 times, disappears during an avalanche. (''The Guardian'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2010 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?