It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Send him/her your special wishes with this personalized page
Which were the important events of Wednesday, 25 August 1948 ?
- Roman festivals - Opiconsivia held in honor of Ops.
- RC Saints - Genesius of Arles, Saint Louis IX of France, Saint Joseph Calasanz
- Uruguay - National Day (independence from Brazil in 1825).
- Philippines - National Heroes' Day.
Famous People born
Nicholas A. Peppas
- The House Un-American Activities Committee holds first-ever televised congressional hearing: ''Confrontation Day'' between Whittaker Chambers and Alger Hiss.
: Greek chemical and biomedical engineer
What news were making the headlines those days in August 1948 ?
TIME Magazine Cover: Betty Grable -- Aug. 23, 1948
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
The Naked and the Dead
by Norman Mailer
Hailed as one of the finest novels to come out of the Second World War, The Naked and the Dead received unprecedented critical acclaim upon its publication and has since become part of the American canon.
Dinner at Antoine's
by Frances Parkinson Keyes
Orson Foxworth celebrates his return to New Orleans by giving a dinner in the 1840 room at Antoines restaurant, ostensibly planned to present his niece for the Carnival festivities and to renew his romance with Amelie Lalande.
The Bishop's Mantle
by Agnes Sligh Turnbull
The memorable love story of the rector of St. Matthews - a man of God and of the earth.
Long Island Railroad We are all in the same boat... (1948)
Acousti Celotex Sound Conditioning (1948)
Scott Paper Companys ScotTissue The sturdiest babys skin needs gentlest care (1948)
Tell the world why Wednesday, 25 August 1948 is such a special date for you!