Saturday 25 August 1979
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Andrew Hussie and Marlon Harewood.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to My Sharona by The Knack.
In UK I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats was in the top 5 hits.
Time After Time, directed by Nicholas Meyer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Sophie'S Choice by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Carol Burnett & Company.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Bomb Bee or Cosmic Guerilla.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 August 1979!
Which were the important events of 25 August 1979 ?
- Roman festivals - Opiconsivia held in honor of Ops.
- RC Saints - Genesius of Arles, Saint Louis IX of France, Saint Joseph Calasanz
- Uruguay - National Day (independence from Brazil in 1825).
- Philippines - National Heroes' Day.
- Andrew Hussie: Comic Book Artist.
- Marlon Harewood: English footballer.
- Philipp Mißfelder: German historian and politician (d. 2015).
- Deanna Nolan: American basketball player.
- Masato Wada: Japanese actor and singer (D-Boys).
- Stan Kenton: American musician, composer and bandleader whose progressive influence in music made him a controversial figure in jazz for nearly 40 years.
- Madwoman of Central Park West closes at 22 Steps NYC after 86 performances
- Somali adopts constitution
- California Angels trounce Toronto Blue Jays, 24-2.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 25 August 1979
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Chic - Good Times
- Barbra Streisand - The Main Event & Fight
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Donna Summer - Bad Girls
- Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Maxine Nightingale - Lead Me On
- Elton John - Mama Can't Buy You Love
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?