Thursday 25 August 2011
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) by Katy Perry.
The Cremator, directed by Juraj Herz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 August 2011!
Which were the important events of 25 August 2011 ?
- Roman festivals - Opiconsivia held in honor of Ops.
- RC Saints - Genesius of Arles, Saint Louis IX of France, Saint Joseph Calasanz
- Uruguay - National Day (independence from Brazil in 1825).
- Philippines - National Heroes' Day.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 25 August
- More than 50 people are killed in an attack on a casino in Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico. (AP via Youtube)
- Libya's National Transitional Council announces plans to move its headquarters to Tripoli following the capture of the city from Muammar Gaddafi. (AFP via ''The Australian'')
- 17 rockets and mortars are fired from Gaza at southwestern Israeli cities. 2 people, one of them a nine-month old baby, are hurt in the attack. ''Arutz Sheva'')
- Gunmen attack prominent Syrian political cartoonist Ali Farzat, beating him badly and breaking both of his hands, with the beating believed to be related to cartoons critical of President of Syria Bashar Assad and his family. (AP via ''Boston Globe'')
- Berkshire Hathaway, the conglomerate headed by Warren Buffett, announces a plan to invest $5 billion in Bank of America. (DealBook)
- At least 19 people are feared dead in Zimbabwe after a haulage truck and bus collide (Radio VoP)
- The RAF gives the Red Arrows clearance to fly again following Saturday's fatal crash at the Bournemouth Air Festival, but cannot confirm if they will fly at similar events this year. (BBC)
- Hurricane Irene:
- New York City announces its plans to shut down subways, buses and commuter trains ahead of the likely arrival of Hurricane Irene. (NBC News)
- 2011 Pacific typhoon season: At least one person in the Philippines is missing and several towns are flooded as a result of Typhoon Nanmadol which is now heading for Taiwan. (''Washington Post'')
- London's Metropolitan Police Service says that it has now made over 2,000 arrests in connection with the riots which occurred in London. (BBC)
- A 61-year-old man is arrested after making threats to the British Conservative Party MP Louise Mensch via email and social networking sites. (BBC)
- Police in Austria have arrested an 80-year-old man for allegedly imprisoning and sexually abusing his two daughters over a period of 40 years. (BBC)
- Former Iranian Prime Minister Mir-Hossein Mousavi is hospitalized after a heart attack. (Balatarin)
- A protester is arrested for throwing a paint bomb at British Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg as he arrives at a Liberal Democrats party meeting in Glasgow. (BBC)
- The New York Yankees hit three grand slam home runs in a single game, the first time such a feat has occurred, to win over the Oakland Athletics. (''The New York Times'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?