Saturday 25 August 2012
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Whistle by Flo Rida.
Lawless, directed by John Hillcoat, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 25 August 2012 ?
- Roman festivals - Opiconsivia held in honor of Ops.
- RC Saints - Genesius of Arles, Saint Louis IX of France, Saint Joseph Calasanz
- Uruguay - National Day (independence from Brazil in 1825).
- Philippines - National Heroes' Day.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 25 August
- Syrian civil war
- At least 330 people are killed in Syria, marking the highest single-day death toll in the uprising according to the opposition. (CNN)
- According to activists, at least 79 dead bodies are found in Daraa. (Reuters)
- Syrian opposition forces free one of eleven Lebanese Shiite pilgrims abducted three months ago in Syria according to rebels, at Turkey's request. (Huffington Post)
- Libya: Unnamed organized assailants bulldoze a Sufi mosque with graves, in broad daylight in the centre of the Libyan capital Tripoli. It is the second such razing of a Sufi site in two days. De facto head of state Mohamed Yousef el-Magariaf tells reporters: ampquotWhat is truly regrettable and suspicious is that some of those who took part in these destruction activities are supposed to be of the security forces and from the revolutionaries.ampquot (Reuters via Yahoo! News)
- Neil Armstrong, the first person on the Moon, dies at age 82. (''The Guardian'')
- A historic drought develops in the Balkans causing severe losses to agriculture. Towns in Serbia introduce water restrictions while scorching temperatures fuel hundreds of fires. Russia stations a second fire fighting aircraft to help in Niš. (RIA Novosti)
- Tropical Storm Isaac causes floodings and kills at least three people in Haiti, a nation still recovering from the 2010 earthquake. The storm moves Northwest over east Cuba. (NHC)
- At least 85,000 people are displaced in Myanmar as weeks of heavy rain contribute to severe flooding in the Irrawaddy Delta. (Al Jazeera)
- A gas-leak blast at the Paraguaná Refinery Complex in Amuay, in north Venezuela kills at least 39 people and injures more than 80. (AP via WVEC)
- Thirty-seven Chinese nationals, arrested in Angola due to their alleged involvement in criminal acts, are extradited and due to be tried in China. (BBC)
- Voters in Australia's Northern Territory elect the Country Liberal Party. (Sky News)
- The 2012 Rugby League Challenge Cup is won by Warrington Wolves, defeating Leeds Rhinos by 35 points to 18. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?