Monday 25 December 1950, Christmas
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Barry Pearson and Serge Chiesa.
Born Yesterday, directed by George Cukor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while Joy Street by Frances Parkinson Keyes was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Red Ryder.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 December 1950!
Which were the important events of 25 December 1950 ?
- Christmas Day is a Christian holiday on this day celebrating the Nativity of Jesus. It is a public holiday in many countries, including almost everywhere in the Americas, most European nations, the Philippines and most of Oceania, some African countries, the Commonwealth of Nations, and various other countries and regions. Many non-Christians, including non-theists, celebrate secular aspects of the holiday, such as decorating Christmas trees and exchanging gifts with family and friends. Some
- Pakistan - Quaid's Day is celebrated as a national holiday in Pakistan in honour of the birth of Mohammad Ali Jinnah.
- British Isles - a quarter day in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland. (but not in Scotland)
- Roman festivals - (re)birth of Sol Invictus, the winter solstice feast in the Roman Empire since 274.
- Barry Pearson: NFL Player.
- Serge Chiesa: French footballer (soccer player), a historic player of Olympique Lyonnais, and an excellent dribbler.
- Karl Rove: American political strategist and presidential advisor, credited with being the mastermind behind the making of George W. Bush into a politician, first as Governor of Texas and then US President.
- Grazka Taylor: Polish TV producer of commercial advertising in New Zealand.
- Peter Boardman: English mountaineer and author (d. 1982).
- Yehuda Poliker: Israeli singer-songwriter and guitarist
- Manny Trillo: baseball infielder (Philadelphia Phillies).
- Coronation Stone, taken from Scone in Scotland by Edward I in 1296, stolen from Westminster Abbey and smuggled back to Scotland
- Dick Tracy marries Tess Truehart
- Cleveland Browns beat Los Angeles Rams 30-28 in NFL championship game.
- The first Disney TV special, One Hour in Wonderland airs on NBC, sponsored by the Coca-Cola Company (cost US$100,000). Walt Disney and several Disney cartoon characters make their TV debut. Walt's daughter Sharon also appears. The show previews portions of the film Alice in Wonderland. About 20 million viewers watch the show.
- The Stone of Scone, traditional coronation stone of British monarchs, is taken from Westminster Abbey by Scottish nationalist students. It later turns up in Scotland on April 11, 1951.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 25 December 1950
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1950 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?