Friday 25 December 1959, Christmas
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Missy Cleveland and Michael P Anderson.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Heartaches By The Number by Guy Mitchell.
In UK What Do You Want? by Adam Faith was in the top 5 hits.
Jack and the Beanstalk, directed by Jean Yarbrough, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Radio rochela.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 December 1959!
Which were the important events of 25 December 1959 ?
- Christmas Day is a Christian holiday on this day celebrating the Nativity of Jesus. It is a public holiday in many countries, including almost everywhere in the Americas, most European nations, the Philippines and most of Oceania, some African countries, the Commonwealth of Nations, and various other countries and regions. Many non-Christians, including non-theists, celebrate secular aspects of the holiday, such as decorating Christmas trees and exchanging gifts with family and friends. Some
- Pakistan - Quaid's Day is celebrated as a national holiday in Pakistan in honour of the birth of Mohammad Ali Jinnah.
- British Isles - a quarter day in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland. (but not in Scotland)
- Roman festivals - (re)birth of Sol Invictus, the winter solstice feast in the Roman Empire since 274.
- Missy Cleveland: Jackson, Mississippi -- Playmate (April, 1979).
- Michael P Anderson: astronaut (d. 2003).
- Michael P Anderson in Plattsburgh: New York, USA; major US Air Force/astronaut (STS 89).
- Ton Lokhoff: Dutch soccer player (NAC).
- Chris Spice: Australian field hockey coach (Olympics-1996).
- Michael Anderson: American astronaut: Michael P. Anderson – Mission specialist; Lt. Col. USAF; Space Shuttle Columbia. The space vehicle broke up upon reentry on 2/01/2003 starting approximately 7:53 AM CST overhead from California through Texas. All seven astronauts were lost.
- Ramdas Athawale: Indian poet and politician
- A synagogue in Cologne Germany desecrated with swatstikas
- Richard Starkey receives his 1st drum set
- Sony brings transistor TV 8-301 to the market.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Guy Mitchell - Heartaches By The Number
- Frankie Avalon - Why
- Marty Robbins - El Paso
- Miss Toni Fisher - The Big Hurt
- Freddie Cannon - Way Down Yonder In New Orleans
- Paul Anka - It's Time To Cry
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Bobby Rydell - We Got Love
- Connie Francis - Among My Souvenirs
- Fabian - Hound Dog Man
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?