Monday 25 December 1961
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens.
In UK Poetry In Motion by Johnny Tillotson was in the top 5 hits.
The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, directed by Jos Quintero, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Franny And Zooey by J.D. Salinger was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 December 1961!
Which were the important events of 25 December 1961 ?
- Christmas Day is a Christian holiday on this day celebrating the Nativity of Jesus. It is a public holiday in many countries, including almost everywhere in the Americas, most European nations, the Philippines and most of Oceania, some African countries, the Commonwealth of Nations, and various other countries and regions. Many non-Christians, including non-theists, celebrate secular aspects of the holiday, such as decorating Christmas trees and exchanging gifts with family and friends. Some
- Pakistan - Quaid's Day is celebrated as a national holiday in Pakistan in honour of the birth of Mohammad Ali Jinnah.
- British Isles - a quarter day in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland. (but not in Scotland)
- Roman festivals - (re)birth of Sol Invictus, the winter solstice feast in the Roman Empire since 274.
- Íngrid Betancourt: Colombian political scientist and politician.
- Ingrid Betancourt: Colombian-born politician and kidnap victim, she She is the mother of two children.
- David Thompson: Barbadian politician who served as the sixth Prime Minister of Barbados from 16 January 2008 until his death from pancreatic cancer at approximately 2:10 a.m.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- Bobby Vee - Run To Him
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- James Darren - Goodbye Cruel World
- Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By
- Joey Dee & the Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Part 1
- The Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen
- Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
- Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Frankie Vaughan - Tower Of Strength
- Johnny Tillotson - Poetry In Motion
- Danny Williams - Moon River
- Cliff Richard - I Love You
- Elvis Presley - His Latest Flame / Little Sisters
- The Drifters - Save The Last Dance For Me
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
- Matt Monro - Portrait Of My Love
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?