Friday 25 December 2009
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Empire State Of Mind by Jay-Z.
Magic, directed by Robert Davi, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Going Rogue: An American Life by Sarah Palin was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 December 2009!
Which were the important events of 25 December 2009 ?
- Christmas Day is a Christian holiday on this day celebrating the Nativity of Jesus. It is a public holiday in many countries, including almost everywhere in the Americas, most European nations, the Philippines and most of Oceania, some African countries, the Commonwealth of Nations, and various other countries and regions. Many non-Christians, including non-theists, celebrate secular aspects of the holiday, such as decorating Christmas trees and exchanging gifts with family and friends. Some
- Pakistan - Quaid's Day is celebrated as a national holiday in Pakistan in honour of the birth of Mohammad Ali Jinnah.
- British Isles - a quarter day in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland. (but not in Scotland)
- Roman festivals - (re)birth of Sol Invictus, the winter solstice feast in the Roman Empire since 274.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 25 December
- A Nigerian man, Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab, tries to ignite powder and liquid explosives on Northwest Airlines plane Flight 253 from Nigeria via Amsterdam as it is preparing to land in Detroit. The man is subdued and the plane lands safely with no injuries.
- Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab unsuccessfully attempts a terrorist attack against the US while on board a flight to Detroit Metro Airport Northwest Airlines Flight 253
- A Viva Palestina supply convoy is stranded in Aqaba due to actions of the Egyptian government. (Al Jazeera)
- The number of suicides in Japan exceeded 30,000 in 2009 according to officials, for the twelfth consecutive year. (''Straits Times'')
- China sentences activist Liu Xiaobo to 11 years in prison for ampquotsubversion of state powerampquot. (Press Trust of India)
- China's National Bureau of Statistics revised the growth rate of its gross domestic product (GDP) for 2008 to 9.6 percent from 9 percent. (Xinhua)
- The 19th century St Mel's Cathedral of Longford in Ireland is destroyed by an ongoing fire in the town. (''Longford Leader'')
- Two more bishops mdash Eamonn Oliver Walsh and Raymond Field mdash resign due to child sex abuse allegations contained within the Murphy Report. They were Dublin's only remaining two serving auxiliary bishops. (BBC)
- The death by gunshot wound of ''Expresiones de Tulum'' journalist Alberto Velázquez, the 12th journalist to be killed in Mexico in 2009, is announced. (''The Washington Post'')
- Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom remembers the dead soldiers of Afghanistan in the Royal Christmas Message. (Full text from ''The Daily Telegraph'')
- Six Filipino sailors and three Greek officers are missing after fire engulfs a ship in an incident off the coast of Venezuela. (Xinhua)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 25 December 2009 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?