Wednesday 25 January 1961
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Wonderland By Night by Bert Kaempfert and His Orchestra.
In UK Poetry In Motion by Johnny Tillotson was in the top 5 hits.
The Misfits, directed by John Huston, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 January 1961!
Which were the important events of 25 January 1961 ?
- St. Dwynwen's Day and Patron Saint of Lovers - Welsh celebration of love Dirwnod Santes Dwynwen.
- Tatiana Day, celebrated as the Day of Russian students since 1755, when the Moscow University was founded.
- Catholicism and Anglicanism - Conversion of Saint Paul.
- Christian ecumenism ? Week of Prayer for Christian Unity ends.
- Burns Night - Burns suppers are held in many parts of the world around this date. (Originated in Scotland)
- Winter-Een-Mas - celebration of videogames and the people that play them. Winter-een-mas lasts for a whole week, which is always the very last week in January, the 25th through the 31st.
- Roman Empire - second day of the Sementivae in honour of Ceres and Terra
- Willie Revillame: Filipino game show host and comedian.
- Michele Tobin in Chicago: Illinois, USA; actress (Fitzpatricks).
- Daniele Barilla: Italian citizen who was a victim of unfortunate circumstances.
- Vivian Balakrishnan: Singaporean ophthalmologist and politician Singaporean Ministry of National Development.
- 1st live, nationally televised presidential news conference (JFK)
- Military coup in El Salvador.
- Louise Suggs wins LPGA Naples Pro-Am Golf Tournament.
- First live, nationally televised US Presidential news conference (John Kennedy).
- In Washington, D.C. John F. Kennedy delivers the first live presidential television news conference.
- Buena Vista premieres Disney's animated feature film One Hundred and One Dalmatians in selected theaters in the USA. The film is based on the book The Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bert Kaempfert and His Orchestra - Wonderland By Night
- Lawrence Welk - Calcutta
- The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
- Ferrante and Teicher - Exodus
- The Miracles - Shop Around
- Neil Sedaka - Calendar Girl
- Rosie - Angel Baby
- Bobby Vee - Rubber Ball
- Brenda Lee - Emotions
- Ray Peterson - Corinna, Corinna
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 25 January 1961 and get them!