Tuesday 25 January 1972
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include John Stoen and Shinji Takehara.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to American Pie (Parts 1 and 2) by Don McLean.
In UK I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony) by The New Seekers was in the top 5 hits.
Fritz the Cat, directed by Ralph Bakshi, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1972
while The Winds Of War by Herman Wouk was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Semesterferien.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Empire or Pong.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 January 1972!
Which were the important events of 25 January 1972 ?
- St. Dwynwen's Day and Patron Saint of Lovers - Welsh celebration of love Dirwnod Santes Dwynwen.
- Tatiana Day, celebrated as the Day of Russian students since 1755, when the Moscow University was founded.
- Catholicism and Anglicanism - Conversion of Saint Paul.
- Christian ecumenism ? Week of Prayer for Christian Unity ends.
- Burns Night - Burns suppers are held in many parts of the world around this date. (Originated in Scotland)
- Winter-Een-Mas - celebration of videogames and the people that play them. Winter-een-mas lasts for a whole week, which is always the very last week in January, the 25th through the 31st.
- Roman Empire - second day of the Sementivae in honour of Ceres and Terra
- John Stoen: American child homicide victim and son of cult leader Jim Jones, he died from poisoned Kool-Aid along with nearly a thousand people following their demented leader in Jonestown.
- Shinji Takehara: Japanese boxer.
- Erhard Milch: German military man who served as a Nazi field marshal, Luftwaffe chief, Goering protégé and Chief of Staff from 1933-1945.
- 25th NHL All-Star Game: East beats West 3-2 at Minnesota.
- Shirley Chisholm, the first African American Congresswoman, announces her candidacy for President.
- Yugoslavian air stewardess Vesna Vulović is the only survivor when her plane crashes in Czechoslovakia. She survives after falling 10,160 meters (33,330 feet) in the tail section of the aircraft.
- The Aboriginal Tent Embassy is set up on the lawn of Parliament House in Canberra.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1972 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Don McLean - American Pie (Parts 1 and 2)
- Melanie - Brand New Key
- Al Green - Let's Stay Together
- Jonathan Edwards - Sunshine
- Badfinger - Day After Day
- Betty Wright - Clean Up Woman
- Dennis Coffey and the Detroit Guitar Band - Scorpio
- Three Dog Night - Never Been To Spain
- The Stylistics - You Are Everything
- The Jackson 5 - Sugar Daddy
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?