Tuesday 25 March 1947
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Claudine Schneider American politician (Representative-Republican-Rhode Island and Elton John.
The Farmer's Daughter, directed by H.C. Potter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Major League Baseball on NBC.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 March 1947!
Which were the important events of 25 March 1947 ?
- Maryland Day.
- Saint Pelagius
- International Waffle Day in Sweden.
- Freedom Day in Belarus
- Greek Independence Day.
- As the day falls close to the vernal equinox, similar to the way Christmas falls near the winter solstice, both days are regarded as one of the Quarter Days to Christians in the British Isles. (see below)
- Traditional date of the start of the new year in England and Wales, until the Calendar Act of 1752 (called Lady Day - see below).
- Traditional date of the death (circa 33), of Jesus, central figure in Christianity (b. circa 1 BC in traditional dating)
- In Christianity, March 25 is typically celebrated as the day of the Annunciation so long as it does not coincide with a Sunday or during Holy Week. (see below)
- The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Lady Day) - this date is nine months before Christmas Day, and is based on the traditional date in Catholicism of a 1 BC - Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and conception of Jesus.
- One of the four Irish Quarter days in the Irish calendar.
- Saint Dysmas, the 'Good Murderer'
- Saint Harold
- Saint Humbert
- The date of the passing of Sauron in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Many fans celebrate this day by throwing parties.
- Saint Izaak
- Claudine Schneider American politician (Representative-Republican-Rhode Island: 1981-).
- Elton John: British musician and rock superstar of immense appeal of the '70s, '80s, and '90s.
- Richard Lennon: American ecclesiastic, acting Catholic Bishop in Boston Archdiocese taking over for Cardinal Law upon Law's resignation, 12/13/2002.
- Josef Wintjes: German alternative magazine publisher and bookseller.
- Richard Cork: English historian and critic.
- Agreement of Linggadjati ratified in Batavia.
- An explosion in a coal mine in Centralia, Illinois kills 111.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1947 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?