Tuesday 25 March 1947
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Farmer's Daughter, directed by H.C. Potter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1947.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 March 1947!
Which were the important events of 25 March 1947 ?
- Maryland Day.
- Saint Pelagius
- International Waffle Day in Sweden.
- Freedom Day in Belarus
- Greek Independence Day.
- As the day falls close to the vernal equinox, similar to the way Christmas falls near the winter solstice, both days are regarded as one of the Quarter Days to Christians in the British Isles. (see below)
- Traditional date of the start of the new year in England and Wales, until the Calendar Act of 1752 (called Lady Day - see below).
- Traditional date of the death (circa 33), of Jesus, central figure in Christianity (b. circa 1 BC in traditional dating)
- In Christianity, March 25 is typically celebrated as the day of the Annunciation so long as it does not coincide with a Sunday or during Holy Week. (see below)
- The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Lady Day) - this date is nine months before Christmas Day, and is based on the traditional date in Catholicism of a 1 BC - Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and conception of Jesus.
- One of the four Irish Quarter days in the Irish calendar.
- Saint Dysmas, the 'Good Murderer'
- Saint Harold
- Saint Humbert
- The date of the passing of Sauron in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Many fans celebrate this day by throwing parties.
- Saint Izaak
- Josef Wintjes: German alternative magazine publisher and bookseller.
- Claudine Schneider American politician (Representative-Republican-Rhode Island: 1981-).
- Richard Lennon: American ecclesiastic, acting Catholic Bishop in Boston Archdiocese taking over for Cardinal Law upon Law's resignation, 12/13/2002.
- Richard Cork: English historian and critic.
- Elton John: British musician and rock superstar of immense appeal of the '70s, '80s, and '90s.
- Agreement of Linggadjati ratified in Batavia.
- An explosion in a coal mine in Centralia, Illinois kills 111.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1947 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?