Saturday 25 March 1961
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Surrender by Elvis Presley.
In UK Walk Right Back / Ebony Eyes by The Everly Brothers was in the top 5 hits.
One-Eyed Jacks, directed by Marlon Brando, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Last Of The Just by Andre Schwarz-Bart was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 March 1961!
Which were the important events of 25 March 1961 ?
- Maryland Day.
- Saint Pelagius
- International Waffle Day in Sweden.
- Freedom Day in Belarus
- Greek Independence Day.
- As the day falls close to the vernal equinox, similar to the way Christmas falls near the winter solstice, both days are regarded as one of the Quarter Days to Christians in the British Isles. (see below)
- Traditional date of the start of the new year in England and Wales, until the Calendar Act of 1752 (called Lady Day - see below).
- Traditional date of the death (circa 33), of Jesus, central figure in Christianity (b. circa 1 BC in traditional dating)
- In Christianity, March 25 is typically celebrated as the day of the Annunciation so long as it does not coincide with a Sunday or during Holy Week. (see below)
- The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Lady Day) - this date is nine months before Christmas Day, and is based on the traditional date in Catholicism of a 1 BC - Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and conception of Jesus.
- One of the four Irish Quarter days in the Irish calendar.
- Saint Dysmas, the 'Good Murderer'
- Saint Harold
- Saint Humbert
- The date of the passing of Sauron in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Many fans celebrate this day by throwing parties.
- Saint Izaak
- Mark David Brooks in Fort Worth: Texas, USA; PGA golfer (1994 Kemper Open).
- Reggie Fils-Aime: Entrepreneur.
- Mark Brooks: American golf professional, PGA Tour.
- John Stockwell in Galveston: Texas, USA; actor (Born to Ride, City Limits).
- Reggie Fils-Aimé: American president of Nintendo of America.
- 13 Daughters closes at 54th St. Theater NYC after 28 performances
- Gypsy closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 702 performances
- Elvis Presley performs live on the USS Arizona
- Explorer 10 is launched into elongated Earth orbit (177/181,000 km).
- Sputnik 10 carries a dog into Earth orbit; later recovered
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - Surrender
- Chubby Checker - Pony Time
- Marty Robbins - Don't Worry
- Connie Francis - Where The Boys Are
- The Shirelles - Dedicated To The One I Love
- Jorgen Ingmann and His Guitar - Apache
- The String-A-Longs - Wheels
- The Everly Brothers - Ebony Eyes
- The Everly Brothers - Walk Right Back
- Buzz Clifford - Baby Sittin' Boogie
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?