Thursday 25 May 1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Mother-In-Law by Ernie K-Doe.
In UK Blue Moon by The Marcels was in the top 5 hits.
A Raisin in the Sun, directed by Daniel Petrie, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 May 1961!
Which were the important events of 25 May 1961 ?
- Ancient Latvia - Urbanas Diena observed
- Saint Reinolf
- Saint Marie-Madeleine-Sofie Barat (died 1865)
- Virginia - Confederate Memorial Day (1868)
- Argentina - Day of May Revolution/National Day (1810)
- Towel Day, in memory of Douglas Adams, is observed in ?
- The Ascension, one of the great feasts in the Christian liturgical calendar
- Saint Bede the Venerable (died 735)
- Saint Frederic
- Saint Augustine of Canterbury
- Saint Bruno of Wnrzburg
- The former Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia - Day of Youth
- Saint Hildebert
- Chad, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe - African Liberation Day
- Officially declared Carrie Underwood Day in Oklahoma for her winning American Idol
- Jordan - National Day/Arab Renaissance Day (1946)
- Africa Day commemorating the 1963 fouding of he AU's precursor, OAU
- United States - Memorial Day/Decoration Day, a legal holiday (1868)
- Lebanon, Liberation Day (1999)
- Saint Pope Gregory VII (died 1085)
- Hiro Saito: Wrestler (All-Japan / NJPW / Calgary).
- JFK sets goal of putting a man on Moon before the end of decade
- NASA civilian pilot Joseph A Walker takes X-15 to 32,770 m
- US President John Kennedy appeals to Congress that the nation should commit to "landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to Earth" by the end of the decade.
- Apollo program: U.S. President John F. Kennedy announces before a special joint session of the Congress his goal to initiate a project to put a ''man on the Moon'' before the end of the decade.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- Shep and the Limelites - Daddy's Home
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man
- The Shirelles - Mama Said
- Roy Orbison - Running Scared
- Connie Francis - Breakin' In A Brand New Broken Heart
- Ricky Nelson - Hello Mary Lou
- Linda Scott - I've Told Every Little Star
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?