Friday 25 May 1979
It was Friday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jonny Wilkinson and Carlos Bocanegra.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Reunited by Peaches & Herb.
In UK Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkel was in the top 5 hits.
A Force of One, directed by Paul Aaron, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while The Matarese Circle by Robert Ludlum was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Cities.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Auto Racing or Invasion Orion.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 May 1979!
Which were the important events of 25 May 1979 ?
- Ancient Latvia - Urbanas Diena observed
- Saint Reinolf
- Saint Marie-Madeleine-Sofie Barat (died 1865)
- Virginia - Confederate Memorial Day (1868)
- Argentina - Day of May Revolution/National Day (1810)
- Towel Day, in memory of Douglas Adams, is observed in ?
- The Ascension, one of the great feasts in the Christian liturgical calendar
- Saint Bede the Venerable (died 735)
- Saint Frederic
- Saint Augustine of Canterbury
- Saint Bruno of Wnrzburg
- The former Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia - Day of Youth
- Saint Hildebert
- Chad, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe - African Liberation Day
- Officially declared Carrie Underwood Day in Oklahoma for her winning American Idol
- Jordan - National Day/Arab Renaissance Day (1946)
- Africa Day commemorating the 1963 fouding of he AU's precursor, OAU
- United States - Memorial Day/Decoration Day, a legal holiday (1868)
- Lebanon, Liberation Day (1999)
- Saint Pope Gregory VII (died 1085)
- Jonny Wilkinson: English player of the rugby union.
- Carlos Bocanegra: American soccer player.
- Sayed Moawad: Egyptian footballer.
- Caroline Ouellette: Canadian ice hockey player and coach.
- Sam Sodje: English-Nigerian footballer.
- John Arthur Spenkelink: American murderer (Born 1949).
- Israel begins to return Sinai to Egypt.
- American Airlines Flight 191: In Chicago, a McDonnell Douglas DC-10 crashes during takeoff at O'Hare International Airport killing 271 on board and two people on the ground.
- Six-year-old Etan Patz disappears from the street just two blocks away from his New York City home, prompting an international search for the child, and causing U.S. President Ronald Reagan to designate May 25th as National Missing Children's Day (in 1983).
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Peaches & Herb - Reunited
- Donna Summer - Hot Stuff
- Village People - In The Navy
- Bee Gees - Love You Inside Out
- Wings - Goodnight Tonight
- Sister Sledge - We Are Family
- Jacksons - Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)
- Randy Vanwarmer - Just When I Needed You Most
- Suzi Quatro - Stumblin' In
- England Dan and John Ford Coley - Love Is The Answer
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?