Friday 26 August 1955
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Didier-Georges Gabily and Ian Dejardin.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
Journey to Italy, directed by Roberto Rossellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Highway Patrol.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1955.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 August 1955!
Which were the important events of 26 August 1955 ?
- RC saints - St Zephyrinus, Saint Ninian, David Lewis (one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales)
- Namibia - Namibia Day or Heroes' Day
- Zanzibar - Sultan's Birthday
- Didier-Georges Gabily: French playwright, novelist and director.
- Ian Dejardin: English historian and curator.
- 1st color telecast (NBC) of a tennis match (Davis Cup)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1955 ?
Top #8 songs in the USA
- Chuck Berry - Maybellene
- Jaye P. Morgan - The Longest Walk
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Boyd Bennett - Seventeen
- Chuck Miller - The House Of Blue Lights
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?