Wednesday 26 August 1959
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to The Three Bells by The Browns.
In UK Living Doll by Cliff Richard & The Drifters was in the top 5 hits.
The Magician, directed by Ingmar Bergman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 26 August 1959 ?
- RC saints - St Zephyrinus, Saint Ninian, David Lewis (one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales)
- Namibia - Namibia Day or Heroes' Day
- Zanzibar - Sultan's Birthday
- Stan Van Gundy: American basketball player and coach.
- Oliver Colvile: English lawyer and politician.
- Jim Rutledge: Victoria, British Columbia -- Canadian Tour golfer (1995 Indian Open).
- Joanne Gail Abbott: Executive (MTV).
- Kathryn P Hire: Mobile, Alabama -- Lieutenant Commander USN / Astronaut (sk: STS 90).
- The original Mini designed by Sir Alec Issigonis is launched.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- Santo and Johnny - Sleep Walk
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- Phil Phillips - Sea Of Love
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Part I)
- Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes
- Fats Domino - I Want To Walk You Home
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 26 August 1959 and get them!