Tuesday 26 August 2008
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Disturbia by Rihanna.
Slumdog Millionaire, directed by Danny Boyle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mummy Forensics.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing 19420: Joint Strike or Brothers in Arms: Hour of Heroes.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 26 August 2008 ?
- RC saints - St Zephyrinus, Saint Ninian, David Lewis (one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales)
- Namibia - Namibia Day or Heroes' Day
- Zanzibar - Sultan's Birthday
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 26 August
- Russia unilaterally recognizes the independence of the former Georgian breakaway republics Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
- September 1 – Hurricane Gustav makes landfall on Louisiana as Category 2 and kills seven in the United States, after making landfall on western Cuba as Category 4, and killing 66 in Haiti, eight in the Dominican Republic, and 11 in Jamaica.
- A Sudanese plane is hijacked shortly after taking off from Nyala in the Darfur region and flown to Kufra in Libya. (CNN)
- Tamil Tigers carry out an air raid on a major naval base at Trincomalee on the east coast of Sri Lanka, injuring four sailors. (BBC News)
- Flight delays hit more than two dozen United States airports because of a communication network problem in a Federal Aviation Administration facility in Atlanta, Georgia. (''Chicago Tribune'')
- At least 28 people are killed after a suicide bombing in the province of Diyala, Iraq. (Reuters via ''The Ottawa Citizen'')
- Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim wins a landslide victory in the by-election in Permatang Pauh. (AP via Yahoo! News)
- 2008 South Ossetia war:
- U.S. President George W. Bush says Russia's president should not recognize two breakaway regions of Georgia as independent countries, despite pleas from Russian lawmakers (AP via Google News)
- Hurricane Gustav
- The Koshi River breaks embankment to pick up the course abandoned over 200 years ago causing floods in the Indian state of Bihar and killing 42 people. (CNN-IBN)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?