Wednesday 26 December 1956
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Just Walkin' In The Rain by Johnnie Ray was in the top 5 hits.
The Wrong Man, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Don'T Go Near The Water by William Brinkley was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 December 1956!
Which were the important events of 26 December 1956 ?
- Australia - Proclamation Day (South Australian public holiday), for the foundation of the Australian state of South Australia on December 28, 1836 but commemorated on this day.
- Wrenboys celebrate Wren in Ireland
- Period of Ursids meteor shower ends about this day
- Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia - Tsunami Awareness Day/Tsunami Memorial (or Remembrance) Day
- Mandala Pooja at Sabarimala in Kerala, India
- First day of Kwanzaa
- First day of Junkanoo street parade in the Bahamas (the second day is on the New Year's Day)
- Wren day in Ireland and the Isle of Man.
- Boxing Day in the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The first day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- St. Stephen's Day, a public holiday in Catalonia, Croatia, Czech Republic, and the Republic of Ireland.
- R.C. Saints - Saint Stephen
- South Africa - Day of Goodwill, a public holiday
- Slovenia - Independence and Unity Day (1990)
- Gail Tatterson: Women's Professional Basketball League center (New York Stars).
- Karen Smith: Women's Professional Basketball League forward (New York Stars).
- David Sedaris: American comedian author and radio host.
- Simon Fanshawe: British writer and co-host of "That's Life" with Esther Rantzen for one season.
- Elisa Carrio: Argentine lawyer, professor and politician, who is a Argentine National Deputy for Buenos Aires.
- EM : American drug smuggler. With a middle-class background, and using a respectable front as an apparently successful real estate broker, he was the head of a huge smuggling ring, bringing drugs into New England 1981-88.
- Holmes Herbert: Actor (The Kiss), dies at 74.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1956 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
Top #9 songs in the UK
- Johnnie Ray - Just Walkin' In The Rain
- Frankie Vaughan - The Green Door
- Guy Mitchell - Singing The Blues
- Malcolm Vaughan - St Therese Of The Roses
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rip It Up
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock Around The Clock
- The Four Aces - Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock-A-Beatin' Boogie
- Meet Me On The Corner - Max Bygraves
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 26 December 1956 and get them!