Tuesday 26 December 1961
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Tahnee Welch [La Tahn Renee Welch] in San Diego and Storm Davis in Dallas.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to The Lion Sleeps Tonight by The Tokens.
In UK Poetry In Motion by Johnny Tillotson was in the top 5 hits.
The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone, directed by Jos Quintero, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Franny And Zooey by J.D. Salinger was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hollywood Special.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 December 1961!
Which were the important events of 26 December 1961 ?
- Australia - Proclamation Day (South Australian public holiday), for the foundation of the Australian state of South Australia on December 28, 1836 but commemorated on this day.
- Wrenboys celebrate Wren in Ireland
- Period of Ursids meteor shower ends about this day
- Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia - Tsunami Awareness Day/Tsunami Memorial (or Remembrance) Day
- Mandala Pooja at Sabarimala in Kerala, India
- First day of Kwanzaa
- First day of Junkanoo street parade in the Bahamas (the second day is on the New Year's Day)
- Wren day in Ireland and the Isle of Man.
- Boxing Day in the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The first day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- St. Stephen's Day, a public holiday in Catalonia, Croatia, Czech Republic, and the Republic of Ireland.
- R.C. Saints - Saint Stephen
- South Africa - Day of Goodwill, a public holiday
- Slovenia - Independence and Unity Day (1990)
- Tahnee Welch [La Tahn Renee Welch] in San Diego: California, USA; actress (Cocoon).
- Storm Davis in Dallas: Texas, USA; pitcher (Kansas City Royals).
- Kazuhisa Kawahara: Japanese actor.
- Andrew Lock: Australian mountaineer.
- John Lynch: Northern Irish actor.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- Bobby Vee - Run To Him
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- James Darren - Goodbye Cruel World
- Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By
- Joey Dee & the Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Part 1
- The Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen
- Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
- Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Frankie Vaughan - Tower Of Strength
- Johnny Tillotson - Poetry In Motion
- Danny Williams - Moon River
- Cliff Richard - I Love You
- Elvis Presley - His Latest Flame / Little Sisters
- The Drifters - Save The Last Dance For Me
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- Elvis Presley - It's Now Or Never
- Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
- Matt Monro - Portrait Of My Love
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?