Monday 26 December 1966
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Tim Legler and Jay Farrar.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to I'm A Believer by The Monkees.
In UK Green Green Grass Of Home by Tom Jones was in the top 5 hits.
Grand Prix, directed by John Frankenheimer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1966
while The Secret Of Santa Vittoria by Robert Crichton was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Apropos Film.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Cyborg 009.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 December 1966!
Which were the important events of 26 December 1966 ?
- Australia - Proclamation Day (South Australian public holiday), for the foundation of the Australian state of South Australia on December 28, 1836 but commemorated on this day.
- Wrenboys celebrate Wren in Ireland
- Period of Ursids meteor shower ends about this day
- Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia - Tsunami Awareness Day/Tsunami Memorial (or Remembrance) Day
- Mandala Pooja at Sabarimala in Kerala, India
- First day of Kwanzaa
- First day of Junkanoo street parade in the Bahamas (the second day is on the New Year's Day)
- Wren day in Ireland and the Isle of Man.
- Boxing Day in the Commonwealth of Nations.
- The first day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- St. Stephen's Day, a public holiday in Catalonia, Croatia, Czech Republic, and the Republic of Ireland.
- R.C. Saints - Saint Stephen
- South Africa - Day of Goodwill, a public holiday
- Slovenia - Independence and Unity Day (1990)
- Tim Legler: American basketball player: guard, Wizards.
- Jay Farrar: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Uncle Tupelo Son Volt and Gob Iron).
- Sandra Taylor: American model and actress.
- Jay Yuenger: American guitarist and producer (White Zombie).
- The first Kwanzaa is celebrated by Maulana Karenga, the chair of Black Studies at California State University, Long Beach.
- East German Premier Walter Ulbricht discusses negotiations about German reunification.
- Thieves steal millions' worth of paintings from the Dulwich Art Gallery in London.
- The Congolese government takes over the Union Minière du Haut Katanga.
- Konstantin Chernenko, later leader of the Soviet Union, becomes a candidate member of the Central Committee.
- Paramount Pictures Corporation becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Gulf+Western Industries, Inc.
- The Surrealist Movement in the United States is founded by Franklin and Penelope Rosemont.
- Lise Meitner and Otto Hahn are awarded the Fermi Prize.
- The Congress of the United States creates the National Council for Marine Resources and Engineering Development.
- Martin Richards designs the programming language BCPL.
- The DKW automobile ceases production.
- The World Buddhist Sangha Council is convened by Theravadins in Sri Lanka, with the hope of bridging differences and working together.
- ''The Jerusalem Bible'', a Roman Catholic translation, is published in English.
- Peter L. Berger and Thomas Luckmann publish ''The Social Construction of Reality''.
- Long-term potentiation (LTP), the putative cellular mechanism of learning and memory, is first observed by Terje Lømo in Oslo, Norway.
- In or about this year, one person returning to Haiti from the Congo is thought to have first brought HIV to the Americas.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1966 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Monkees - I'm A Believer
- The Royal Guardsmen - Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron
- The New Vaudeville Band - Winchester Cathedral
- Frank Sinatra - That's Life
- Nancy Sinatra - Sugar Town
- Donovan - Mellow Yellow
- Aaron Neville - Tell It Like It Is
- The Temptations - (I Know) I'm Losing You
- Stevie Wonder - A Place In The Sun
- Paul Revere & the Raiders - Good Thing
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Tom Jones - Green Green Grass Of Home
- The Beatles - Day Tripper / We Can Work It Out
- Val Doonican - What Would I Be
- The Spencer Davis Group - Keep On Running
- The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
- Cliff Richard - Wind Me Up (Let Me Go)
- The Seekers - Morningtown Ride
- The Seekers - The Carnival Is Over
- The Small Faces - My Mind's Eye
- The Walker Brothers - My Ship Is Coming In
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?