Saturday 26 February 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of February people in US were listening to Born This Way by Lady GaGa.
L'argent, directed by Marcel L'Herbier, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Tick Tock by James Patterson, Michael Ledwidge was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 February 2011!
Which were the important events of 26 February 2011 ?
- Bah�'f Faith - February 26, Day 1 of Ayy�m-i-H� (Intercalary Days) - days in the Bah�'f calendar devoted to service and gift giving.
- Blessed Edigna
- Saint Mechtild (d. 1154)
- Blessed Leo of Furnes (d. 1163)
- Saint Victor
- Saint Alexander of Alexandria
- Saint Nestor (died 251)
- Liberation Day in Kuwait (1991).
- Nation of Islam - Savior's Day - commemoration of the birthdate of Wallace Fard Muhammad, believed to be Allah in human form, the saviour of the black race.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 26 February
- 2011 Libyan civil war
- Internal and international pressure continues on leader Muammar Gaddafi to stand down from power. (Al Jazeera)
- Saif al-Islam Gaddafi tells Al-Arabiya television that the unrest in Libya opens up all options including civil war. (''The Guardian'')
- Reuters reports that Libyan Interim Government led by the former justice minister Mustafa Abdul Jalil has been formed in Benghazi. (Al Jazeera)
- An oil refinery in Baiji, Iraq, is bombed, resulting in its closure. (Reuters)
- 2011 Croatian protests:
- Tens of thousands of protesters meet in the Croatian capital Zagreb's Ban Jelačić Square to express their support for indicted Croatian War of Independence veterans and ask Prime Minister Jadranka Kosor's government to resign. (Jutarnji list)
- Several dozen of people are injured and arrested as anti-government protests degenerated into clashes with police. (France24)
- 2011 Canterbury earthquake
- The death toll from the earthquake in New Zealand rises to 144 and there is great concern about 200 more people missing. (TV New Zealand)
- The United Nations Security Council, after the defected Libyan Ambassador to the UN Abdel Rahman Mohamed Shalgam's appeal to act against Muammar Gaddafi's regime escalating violence, being used to crackdown the 2011 Libyan civil war, and following propositions by France, Germany, United Kingdom and the United States, adopts resolution 1970, (UN Multimedia). ampquotAll necessary meansampquot enforcement of said resolution, and imposition of a ampquotNo-fly zoneampquot over Libya are rejected.
- 2011 Iraqi protests
- Hundreds of Iraqi journalists, artists, and intellectuals are arrested the day following the country's ampquotDay of Rageampquot protest, which resulted in at least twenty-nine deaths throughout the country. (Washington Post)
- A South Korean man dies after explosives he bought to tie to his body detonated. (''Straits Times'')
- A Brazilian judge blocks construction of the Belo Monte Dam on the Amazon Basin after it fails to meet environmental requirements. (''The Guardian'')
- A Mexican judge authorises 40 days of detention for an alleged member of the Zetas drug cartel suspected in the killing of a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- The votes are counted, with exit polls predicting Fine Gael and the Labour Party to do well while the ruling Fianna Fáil is expected to do poorly. (''The Irish Times'')
- Paul Gogarty of the Green Party is the first to concede defeat via Twitter. (''The Irish Times'')
- Outgoing Tánaiste Mary Coughlan becomes the biggest loser of the Fianna Fáil meltdown, as her seat in the Donegal South–West constituency goes to Independent Thomas Pringle. (''Irish Examiner'')
- Independent long-serving outgoing Senator Shane Ross tops the poll in the Dublin South constituency. (''The Irish Times'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 2011 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 26 February 2011 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?