Wednesday 26 January 1949
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Paul Nurse and Derek Holt.
A Canterbury Tale, directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching The Admiral Broadway Revue.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1949.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 January 1949!
Which were the important events of 26 January 1949 ?
- Roman Empire - third day of the Sementivae in honor of Ceres and Terra.
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Timothy and Titus
- Saint Paula
- Saint Alberic
- Margaret of Hungary
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Uganda - Liberation Day.
- India - Republic Day - One of only three state holidays in India, celebrated with pomp and a military parade in New Delhi.
- International Customs Day.
- Australia - Australia Day.
- Paul Nurse: doctor/director-General elect (Imperial Cancer Research Fund).
- Derek Holt: rocker (Climax Blues Band).
- David Strathairn: American actor who made his reputation in independent films produced by John Sayles.
- Jonathan Carroll: American author.
- Victor Fleming: Director (Wizard of Oz, Gone With Wind), dies at 65.
- WHIO TV channel 7 in Dayton, OH (CBS) begins broadcasting
- Australian citizenship comes into being and Constitution of India was prepared.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?