Wednesday 26 January 1949
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
A Canterbury Tale, directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1949.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 January 1949!
Which were the important events of 26 January 1949 ?
- Roman Empire - third day of the Sementivae in honor of Ceres and Terra.
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Timothy and Titus
- Saint Paula
- Saint Alberic
- Margaret of Hungary
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Uganda - Liberation Day.
- India - Republic Day - One of only three state holidays in India, celebrated with pomp and a military parade in New Delhi.
- International Customs Day.
- Australia - Australia Day.
- Paul Nurse: doctor/director-General elect (Imperial Cancer Research Fund).
- Derek Holt: rocker (Climax Blues Band).
- David Strathairn: American actor who made his reputation in independent films produced by John Sayles.
- Jonathan Carroll: American author.
- Victor Fleming: Director (Wizard of Oz, Gone With Wind), dies at 65.
- WHIO TV channel 7 in Dayton, OH (CBS) begins broadcasting
- Australian citizenship comes into being and Constitution of India was prepared.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?