Sunday 26 January 1969
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of January people in US were listening to I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye.
In UK Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da by Marmalade was in the top 5 hits.
Pierrot le Fou, directed by Jean-Luc Godard, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1969
while The Salzburg Connection by Helen MacInnes was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 January 1969!
Which were the important events of 26 January 1969 ?
- Roman Empire - third day of the Sementivae in honor of Ceres and Terra.
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Timothy and Titus
- Saint Paula
- Saint Alberic
- Margaret of Hungary
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Uganda - Liberation Day.
- India - Republic Day - One of only three state holidays in India, celebrated with pomp and a military parade in New Delhi.
- International Customs Day.
- Australia - Australia Day.
- Michael O'Hearn: American bodybuilder.
- George Dikeoulakos: Greek-Romanian basketball player and coach.
- Red, White, and Maddox opens at Cort Theater NYC for 41 performances
- Elvis Presley steps into American Studios in Memphis, Tennessee, recording quotLong Black Limousinequot thus beginning the recording of what becomes his landmark comeback sessions for the albums ''From Elvis in Memphis'' and ''Back in Memphis''. The sessions yield the popular and critically acclaimed singles quotSuspicious Minds,quot quotIn the Ghettoquot and quotKentucky Rain.quot
- Fourteen men, nine of them Jews, are executed in Baghdad for spying for Israel.
- Reverend Ian Paisley, hardline Protestant leader in Northern Ireland, is jailed for 3 months for illegal assembly.
- The present-day Hetch Hetchy Moccasin Powerhouse, rated at 100,000 KVA, is completed and placed in operation.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1969 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Sly & the Family Stone - Everyday People
- Tommy James and the Shondells - Crimson And Clover
- Diana Ross and the Supremes - I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
- Brooklyn Bridge - Worst That Could Happen
- The Doors - Touch Me
- Young-Holt Unlimited - Soulful Strut
- B.J. Thomas - Hooked On A Feeling
- The Bee Gees - I Started A Joke
- Dusty Springfield - Son-Of-A Preacher Man
- Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 26 January 1969 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?