Thursday 26 July 2012
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
The Bourne Legacy, directed by Tony Gilroy, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 July 2012!
Which were the important events of 26 July 2012 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 26 July
- Syrian civil war:
- The Syrian Army is reportedly preparing for a large-scale offensive in Aleppo, with the US State Department citing credible reports of tank columns moving into the city, backed by special forces, helicopter gunships and fixed-wing aircraft. (Al-Jazeera)
- At least 200 people are killed in violence throughout the country according to the Local Coordination Committees of Syria. The toll is highest in Aleppo and the capital Damascus, where a total of 94 are killed. Dozens of casualties are reported from Idlib, Daraa and Homs as well. (CNN)
- Ikhlas al Badawi, Aleppo MP, a Baathists and an Assad loyalist, defects to Turkey with her six children. (Reuters)
- A bomb explosion in a crowded market in northwestern Pakistan close to the Afghan border kills at least seven people. (USA Today)
- Insurgents attack an Iraqi Army checkpoint north of Baqubah, downing a helicopter and sparking an intense firefight. At least 19 people are reported killed, including 11 policemen and a soldier. (San Francisco Chronicle)
- Japanese businessman Kenichi Watanabe resigns as the CEO of financial company Nomura Holdings following a series of insider trading scandals. (Reuters)
- President of Ivory Coast Alassane Ouattara meets with his French counterpart François Hollande in Paris to finalize a deal that will forgive a debt of nearly 4.7 billion dollars owed to the former colonial power. (Al Jazeera)
- Sixteen thousand people become homeless in North Korea after Tropical Storm Khanun hit last week. (BNO News)
- Officials in Beijing raise the death toll from weekend flooding to 77 after rescuers located additional bodies. This follows criticism, including from the Chinese state media, of the city's handling of the storm. (Wall Street Journal)
- Former Chinese political leader Bo Xilai's wife, Gu Kailai, and their employee Zhang Xiaojun are charged with murder of British businessman Neil Heywood. (Reuters)
- Four men are arrested for the murder of Saudi Arabian diplomat, Khalaf Ali, in Dhaka, Bangladesh, on 6 March 2012. (''Chicago Tribune'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in July 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?