Saturday 26 March 1949
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Set-Up, directed by Robert Wise, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1949.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 March 1949!
Which were the important events of 26 March 1949 ?
- Saint Emmanuel (died 304)
- Saint Ludger
- Saint Larissa
- Prince Kuhio Day in Hawaii
- Zoroastrianism - Prophet Zoroaster's Birthday.
- Baroness Hayman: .
- Patrick Suskind: German writer.
- Andrew Fitzherbert: British homicide, sentenced to life in prison for murder on 8/02/1999 after three hours deliberation by the jury.
- Rudi Koertzen: South African cricketer and umpire.
- Fran Sheehan: American bass player (Boston).
- Patrick Süskind: German author and screenwriter
- Ernest Thomas: American actor and producer
- Vicki Lawrence in Inglewood: California, USA; actress (Carol Burnett Show, Mama's Family).
- Fran Sheehan in Boston: Massachusetts, USA; rock bassist (Boston - "More than a Feeling").
- Vicki Lawrence: American actress and comedienne, best known on "The Carol Burnett Show" where she was a regular 1967-79, followed by "Mama's Family" in 1983. She won an Emmy as Best Supporting Actress in a Variety Show in 1976. As Burnett's young look-alike and side-kick, she wore a gray wig and padding to play feisty Mama for 135 episodes. In the '90s, the lithe and bubbly redhead was host of "Vicki!" a weekday talk show.
- Eugenia Last: Canadian astrologer, author of several books and syndicated columns, she hosted a radio talk show on satellite radio. In addition she has produced astrological calendars. Last has also contributed to the writing of software programs. Her book, "My Baby's A Star: Astrological Baby Names" was published in 2011.
- The first half of Giuseppe Verdi's opera ''Aida'', conducted by legendary conductor Arturo Toscanini, and performed in concert (i.e. no scenery or costumes), is telecast by NBC, live from Studio 8H at Rockefeller Center. The second half is telecast a week later. This is the only complete opera that Toscanini ever conducts on television.
- United States Secretary of Defense James Forrestal resigns suddenly.
- English astronomer Fred Hoyle coins the term ''Big Bang''amp!--intending it to be derogatory--amp during a BBC Third Programme radio broadcast.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?