Tuesday 26 March 1996
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Bill Clinton (Democratic). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion.
In UK Children by Robert Miles was in the top 5 hits.
Ghost in the Shell, directed by Mamoru Oshii, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1996
while Primary Colors by Anonymous (aka Joe Klein) was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1996.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 March 1996!
Which were the important events of 26 March 1996 ?
- Saint Emmanuel (died 304)
- Saint Ludger
- Saint Larissa
- Prince Kuhio Day in Hawaii
- Zoroastrianism - Prophet Zoroaster's Birthday.
- Kathryn Bernardo: TV Actress.
- Dillon Rupp: Vine Star.
- Justise Winslow: Basketball Player.
- Harrison Houde: TV Actor.
- David Packard: American 6' 5" tall entrepreneur, government official and philanthropist.
- (Elizabeth Cissie) Charlton: football matriarch, dies at age 83.
- Edmund S Muskie: US Vice Presidential candidate/(Governor-Democrat- Maine), dies at age 81.
- Thomas Wakefield: Writer, dies at 60.
- Edmund Muskie: American politician who served in the Maine House of Representatives from 1947-1951 and was the Democratic floor leader from 1949-1951.
- Fire breaks out at the Pasar Anyar shopping centre in Bogor, West Java. The first death toll estimate is 78 until rescuers notice that 68 of them are mannequins.
- Three British soldiers are found guilty of the manslaughter of Danish tour guide Louise Jensen in Cyprus. Allan Ford, Justin Fowler and Geoffrey Pernell receive life sentences for the September, 1994 rape/murder.
- The Halifax Regional Municipality in Nova Scotia is created.
- An overcrowded ferry sinks off the coast of Irois, Haiti, killing more than 200 people.
- A Boeing 737 military jet crashes into a mountain north of Dubrovnik, Croatia. All 35 people on board die, including United States Secretary of Commerce Ron Brown (see 1996 Croatia USAF CT-43 crash).
- Suspected ampquotUnabomberampquot Theodore Kaczynski is arrested at his Montana cabin.
- Massacres of Hutus by Tutsis in Burundi take place, with more than 450 killed in a few days.
- Fighting breaks out in Monrovia, Liberia, between various rebel factions struggling for power in the country's interrupted civil war. Several foreign nationals leave the nation.
- Major League Soccer kicks off in front of an overflow crowd of 31,683 packed in Spartan Stadium, to witness the historic first game. San Jose Clash forward Eric Wynalda scores the league's first goal in a 1–0 victory over D.C. United.
- Turkish authorities begin Operation Hawk, an army offensive against rebels from the Kurdish Worker's Party in southeastern Turkey.
- In a common statement, the European Union officially recognized the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1996 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Celine Dion - Because You Loved Me
- Tony Rich Project - Nobody Knows
- Brandy - Sittin' Up In My Room
- R. Kelly - Down Low (Nobody Has To Know)
- Mary J. Blige - Not Gon' Cry
- Alanis Morissette - Ironic
- Mariah Carey - One Sweet Day
- Everything But The Girl - Missing
- Gin Blossoms - Follow You Down
- D'Angelo - Lady
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?