Tuesday 26 May 1959
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Wayne Hussey and Brian Peaker in London.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Kansas City by Wilbert Harrison.
In UK A Fool Such As I / I Need Your Love Tonight by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
They Came to Cordura, directed by Robert Rossen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Markham.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 May 1959!
Which were the important events of 26 May 1959 ?
- Saint Germain of Paris
- Blessed Pieter of Ter Duinen
- Saint William of Aquitaine
- Saint Simitrius
- Saint Philip Neri (died 1595)
- Saint Lambert (d.1154)
- Saint Berenger (died 1093)
- Georgia - National Day
- Poland - Mother's Day
- Australia - National Sorry Day
- Wayne Hussey: rocker (The Mission - "Lover for Life").
- Brian Peaker in London: Ontario, Canada; rower (Olympics-1996).
- Steve Hanley: English musician (The Fall, Tom Hingley and the Lovers).
- Pierre Simenon: Swiss writer, the youngest son of Belgian writer Georges Simenon and his second wife Denyse Ouimet.
- Ole Bornedal: Danish film director, actor and producer.
- Harvey Haddix pitches 12 perfect innings, loses in 13th.
- Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Harvey Haddix retires the first 36 Milwaukee Braves batters to face him, only to lose his bid for a perfect game in the 13th inning.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 26 May 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Wilbert Harrison - Kansas City
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Bobby Darin - Dream Lover
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- Edward Byrnes - Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- Dion and the Belmonts - A Teenager In Love
- Martin Denny - Quiet Village
- Lloyd Price - Personality
- Franck Pourcel's French Fiddles - Only You
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?