Wednesday 26 October 1955
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Stephen K Robinson and Margherita Agnelli.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Autumn Leaves by Roger Williams.
In UK The Man From Laramie by Jimmy Young was in the top 5 hits.
Picnic, directed by Joshua Logan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while The Man In The Gray Flannel Suit by Sloan Wilson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Matinee Theatre.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 October 1955!
Which were the important events of 26 October 1955 ?
- Nauru - Angam Day
- Austria - National Day: Anniversary of the Declaration of Neutrality (1955)
- Also see October 26 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- St. Quadragesimus
- St. Rusticus
- St. Gibitrudis
- St. Fulk
- St. Eadfrid
- St. Demetrius (aka St. Dimitrios) of Thessaloniki
- St. Cuthbert
- St. Cedd
- St. Alfred the Great
- Roman festivals - first day of Ludi Victoriae Sullanae (until 1 November)
- R.C. Saints - October 26th is the feast day of the following Roman Catholic Saints: St. Bean
- St. Evaristus
- St. Lucian
- St. Albinus
- St. Rogatian
- Stephen K Robinson: Sacramento, California -- PhD / Astronaut (STS 85, sk:95).
- Margherita Agnelli: Swiss-Italian noted family, the second child of Gianni Agnelli.
- Baltasar Garzon: Spanish jurist, the judge who ordered the extradition of dictator Augusto Pinochet in order that Pinochet be judged in Spain for ordering the execution of many Spanish citizens who were living in Chile during his terrifying reign.
- Arne Eggen: Composer, dies at 74.
- 1st edition of Village Voice (NYC) published
- British troops occupy Saudi-Arabic oil field at Boeraimi
- Ngo ?inh Diem declares himself Premier of South Vietnam.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 26 October 1955
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1955 ?
Top #9 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?