Wednesday 27 April 1960
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of April people in US were listening to Stuck On You by Elvis Presley.
In UK My Old Man's A Dustman by Lonnie Donegan was in the top 5 hits.
The Rickshaw Man, directed by Hiroshi Inagaki, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 April 1960!
Which were the important events of 27 April 1960 ?
- Saint Liberalis
- Saint Mariana
- Saint Floribert
- Rochester, NY: Al Franken Day.
- Catalonia: Montserrat's Day (see Montserrat).
- South Africa: Freedom day.
- Slovenia: Day of Uprising Against Occupation.
- Saint Zita Lombardo
- Mike Krushelnyski: Canadian ice hockey player and coach.
- 1st atomic powered electric-drive submarine launched (Tullibee)
- Togo (formerly French Togo) declares independence from French adm
- South Korean President Syngman Rhee resigns.
- Togo gains independence from French-administered UN trusteeship.
- First atomic powered electric-drive submarine launched (Tullibee).
- Several Soviet surface-to-air missiles shoot down an American Lockheed U-2 spy plane. Its pilot, Francis Gary Powers, of the Central Intelligence Agency is captured.
- In India, May 1 is declared as 'Maharashtra Divas', i.e., Maharashtra Day (also celebrated as 'Kaamgaar Divas', i.e., Workers Day).
- European Free Trade Association (EFTA) established.
- The Fantasticks, the world's longest-running musical, opens at New York City's Sullivan Street Playhouse where it will play for 42 years.
- West German refugee minister Theodor Oberländer is fired because of his past with Nazi Germany.
- A.J. Liebling promulgates Liebling's Law in The New Yorker magazine: ampquotFreedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one.ampquot
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Percy Faith - The Theme From A Summer Place
- Elvis Presley - Stuck On You
- The Brothers Four - Greenfields
- Jim Reeves - He'll Have To Go
- Paul Anka - Puppy Love
- Connie Stevens - Sixteen Reasons
- Johnny Horton - Sink The Bismarck
- Brenda Lee - Sweet Nothin's
- The Browns - The Old Lamplighter
- Bill Black's Combo - White Silver Sands
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 27 April 1960 and get them!