Thursday 27 August 1959
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to The Three Bells by The Browns.
In UK Living Doll by Cliff Richard & The Drifters was in the top 5 hits.
The Magician, directed by Ingmar Bergman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 27 August 1959 ?
- Moldova - Independence Day (from the USSR, 1991)
- Roman festivals - Volturnalia held in honor of Volturnus
- RC Saints - Saint Monica of Hippo
- Gerhard Berger: Austrian racing driver and F1 team co-owner (Scuderia Toro Rosso).
- Downtown Brown: English television host and actress.
- Juan Cobo: Colombian painter and sculptor.
- Denice Denton: American engineer and academic (d. 2006).
- Frode Fjellheim: Norwegian pianist and composer.
- András Petőcz: Hungarian author and poet
- Downtown Julie Brown: Welsh TV personality and MTV VJ
- Jack Holliday: American poet whose first collection of poems, "The Naked Poet," was published in 1983.
- Juan Fernando Cobo: Colombian artist
- Daniela Romo: Pop Singer
- Jeanette Winterson: English writer, who became famous with her first book, "Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit," a semi-autobiographical novel about a sensitive teenage girl rebelling against conventional values. Some of her other novels have explored gender polarities and sexual identity. Winterson is also a broadcaster and a professor of creative writing.
- Dominique Sarron: French winner of the 1994 ‘’Bol d’Or,’’24-hour motorcycle endurance race, taking 2nd place after his brother Christian. He was World Champion in 1994; took 2nd place in the world endurance championship in 1984 and holds the record of consecutive wins for 1981, 1983, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1993.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- Santo and Johnny - Sleep Walk
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- Phil Phillips - Sea Of Love
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Part I)
- Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes
- Fats Domino - I Want To Walk You Home
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 27 August 1959 and get them!