Monday 27 August 1979
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Ara Francis and Aaron Paul.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to My Sharona by The Knack.
In UK I Don't Like Mondays by The Boomtown Rats was in the top 5 hits.
Time After Time, directed by Nicholas Meyer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while Sophie'S Choice by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Carol Burnett & Company.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Adventure or Armor Battle.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 August 1979!
Which were the important events of 27 August 1979 ?
- Moldova - Independence Day (from the USSR, 1991)
- Roman festivals - Volturnalia held in honor of Volturnus
- RC Saints - Saint Monica of Hippo
- Ara Francis: Miss Colorado Teen USA (1996).
- Aaron Paul: American actor.
- Demetria McKinney: TV Actress.
- Giovanni Capitello: American filmmaker and actor.
- Tian Liang: Chinese diver and actor.
- Sarah Neufeld: Canadian violinist (Arcade Fire and Bell Orchestre)
- Rusty Smith: American speed skater
- 18 British militia die in ambush / bomb attack in Northern Ireland
- A Provisional Irish Republican Army bomb kills British World War II admiral Louis Mountbatten and three others while they are boating on holiday in Sligo, Republic of Ireland. Shortly after, 18 British Army soldiers are killed in an ambush near Warrenpoint, Northern Ireland (see Warrenpoint ambush).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 27 August 1979
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Knack - My Sharona
- Chic - Good Times
- Barbra Streisand - The Main Event & Fight
- Earth, Wind and Fire - After The Love Has Gone
- Electric Light Orchestra - Don't Bring Me Down
- Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
- Maxine Nightingale - Lead Me On
- Robert John - Sad Eyes
- Elton John - Mama Can't Buy You Love
- Dionne Warwick - I'll Never Love This Way Again
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?