Thursday 27 August 2009
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
Fantomas, directed by Louis Feuillade, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching MacKenzie Falls.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Battlefield Heroes or Cars Race-O-Rama.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 August 2009!
Which were the important events of 27 August 2009 ?
- Moldova - Independence Day (from the USSR, 1991)
- Roman festivals - Volturnalia held in honor of Volturnus
- RC Saints - Saint Monica of Hippo
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 27 August
- Sergey Mikhalkov: Russian author and playwright (d. 2009).
- English youth Michael Perham, aged 17 years, 5 months, becomes the youngest person to complete a solo circumnavigation of the world by sailboat, breaking the previous record by two months. (Reuters)
- South African President Jacob Zuma is to visit Zimbabwe for talks on the power-sharing government. (AFP)
- Taiwan approves a visit by the Dalai Lama to comfort the victims of Typhoon Morakot. (Xinhua)
- Mali's parliament is to review a law giving women greater rights after thousands of Muslims protested the proposed law. (AFP)
- The United Nations Special Rapporteur on indigenous rights, James Anaya, says the Australian government intervention in Aboriginal areas is ampquotdiscriminatoryampquot. (BBC)
- Colombia files a complaint about Venezuela with the Organization of American States, saying the country has been interfering in its domestic affairs. (BBC)
- Thousands of people flee fighting between government troops and ethnic rebels in northeastern Burma. (Australia Network News)
- The head of the joint United NationsndashAfrican Union force in Darfur, Martin Agwai, says the war in the region is over and is now only suffering low-level disputes. (Reuters)
- Sri Lanka dismisses a video purporting to show violence by its Armed Forces against Tamils. (SLBC)
- South Korea proposes regular reunions of families separated by the Korean War to North Korea. (Associated Press)
- Judges at the Supreme Court of India agree to make their financial assets public. (Press Trust of India)
- The Standing Committee of the National People's Congress passes its first law on the People's Armed Police, giving it statutory authority to respond to riots, terrorist attacks or other emergencies. (''The New York Times'')
- Russia deploys an S-400 anti-missile defence system close to its border with North Korea. (''Tehran Times'')
- A suicide bomber hits a Pakistani security checkpoint at the main border crossing for convoys ferrying NATO supplies into Afghanistan, killing at least 18 border guards. (MSNBC)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 27 August 2009
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?