Saturday 27 August 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) by Katy Perry.
The Cremator, directed by Juraj Herz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 August 2011!
Which were the important events of 27 August 2011 ?
- Moldova - Independence Day (from the USSR, 1991)
- Roman festivals - Volturnalia held in honor of Volturnus
- RC Saints - Saint Monica of Hippo
- Phoebe True-Frost: American child of noted parents, her father is Jim True-Frost, actor from acclaimed television series, "Treme" and "The Wire" and mother is legal scholar and professor, Cora True-Frost.
- Dozens of dead bodies are found at the Abu Salim Hospital in Tripoli which had been abandoned by medical staff earlier in the week when it came under heavy gunfire. (NPR)
- Hurricane Irene:
- At least 65 million people on the East Coast of the United States will be in the direct path of Hurricane Irene over the next few days. (News Limited)
- Hurricane Irene makes landfall in the U.S. state of North Carolina near Cape Lookout. (ABC News)
- The Parliament of India debates the Jan Lokpal anti-corruption legislation, prompted in part by an ongoing hunger strike by social activist Anna Hazare. (''Hindustan Times')
- Voters in Singapore go to the polls for the presidential election. (AFP via Google News)
- Hundreds of thousands of Canadians attend events and tributes across Canada in honour of Jack Layton, as an unprecedented state funeral is held. (CBC News)
- In rugby union, the Australian Wallabies defeat the New Zealand All Blacks to win the 2011 Tri Nations Series. (3 News)
- In cricket, the Leicestershire Foxes win the Friends Life T20 Cup, beating Somerset Sabres by 18 runs in the final. Both teams reached the final after winning a one over eliminator, the first time such decider had been used in the finals of the competition.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 27 August 2011 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?