Monday 27 August 2012
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift.
Lawless, directed by John Hillcoat, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Darker by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 27 August 2012 ?
- Moldova - Independence Day (from the USSR, 1991)
- Roman festivals - Volturnalia held in honor of Volturnus
- RC Saints - Saint Monica of Hippo
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 27 August
- Blockade of the Gaza Strip: A United Nations report finds that the Gaza Strip will not be ampquota liveable placeampquot by 2020 as basic infrastructure in water, health, education and sanitation ampquotis struggling to keep pace with a growing populationampquot. (BBC)
- Syrian civil war:
- Heavy combat continues in Damascus and Aleppo. (Xinhua)
- A Syrian army helicopter crashes in Damascus rebels claim they downed it. (Reuters via ABC)
- War on Terror:
- ISAF states that an Afghan National Army soldier opens fire on NATO troops, killing two, before being killed himself. (CNN)
- Ten Afghan soldiers are killed by Taliban fighters in southern Helmand province. (''The Wall Street Journal'')
- Kenyan Islamic cleric Aboud Rogo Mohammed is shot dead by unnamed organised assailants in Mombasa, triggering protests. (BBC)
- Leslie Buckley, a close associate of Denis O'Brien, is elected chairman of Independent News Media. (''The Irish Times'')
- Typhoon Bolaven moves past the Japanese island of Okinawa en route to the Korean Peninsula. (BBC)
- A missing tourist in Iceland has been searching for herself, involved in her own rescue operation for hours. (''Iceland Review'')
- The Prime Minister of Pakistan Raja Pervez Ashraf appears in the Pakistani Supreme Court over his failure to reopen investigations of corruption against President Asif Ali Zardari. (AAP via ''Melbourne Herald-Sun'')
- The Burmese President Thein Sein changes nine ministers in the cabinet, in an apparent bid to demonstrate that promised reforms are firmly on course. (BBC)
- The Leuven municipal council holds a minute of silence for a deceased deminer. (''De Standaard'')
- The 75-year old official who got a javelin in the throat at a junior athletics meeting, on Sunday in Düsseldorf, dies. (BBC)
- The Mars Rover Curiosity broadcasts the first audio recording of a human voice from the surface of another planet. The message from NASA administrator Charles Bolden is beamed to Earth along with new images of the Martian surface. (''The Telegraph'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?