Thursday 27 December 1956
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Just Walkin' In The Rain by Johnnie Ray was in the top 5 hits.
The Wrong Man, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Don'T Go Near The Water by William Brinkley was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 December 1956!
Which were the important events of 27 December 1956 ?
- The second day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- A bank holiday in Britain and elsewhere if 25 December or 26 December falls in the weekend.
- R.C. Saints - John the Apostle and Evangelist
- Doina Melinte: Romanian running star (world record 1500 m / mile indoor).
- Geraldine Ross: French singer, soprano.
- Karen Hughes: American political aide, a close adviser and unyielding supporter of George W. Bush during his career in Texas politics, moving into a similarly important key role with Bush in Washington.
- Lambert McKenna: Irish priest lexicographer and scholar (d. 1956).
- Bill Sharman (Boston) ends NBA free throw streak of 55 games.
- 45th Davis Cup: Australia beats USA in Adelaide (5-0).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1956 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
Top #9 songs in the UK
- Johnnie Ray - Just Walkin' In The Rain
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock Around The Clock
- Frankie Vaughan - The Green Door
- Guy Mitchell - Singing The Blues
- The Four Aces - Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
- Malcolm Vaughan - St Therese Of The Roses
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock-A-Beatin' Boogie
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rip It Up
- Meet Me On The Corner - Max Bygraves
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?