Tuesday 27 January 2009
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Just Dance by Lady GaGa.
Taken, directed by Pierre Morel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while New Moon by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 January 2009!
Which were the important events of 27 January 2009 ?
- UN ? International Holocaust Memorial Day
- Germany ? Gedenktag fnr die Opfer des Nationalsozialismus (Commemoration Day for the Victims of National Socialism).
- Catholicism ? Catholic Schools Week.
- Poland ? Dzie? Pami?ci Ofiar Nazizmu (Memorial Day for the Victims of Nazism).
- Italy ? Giorno della Memoria (Memorial Day).
- Denmark ? Auschwitzdag (Auschwitz Day; commemoration day for the victims of the Holocaust and other genocide).
- Serbia ? St. Sava Day.
- United Kingdom ? Holocaust Memorial Day.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 27 January
- John Updike: American writer, a prolific novelist and a perfectionist.
- In Los Angeles, California, a woman gives birth to octuplets, believed to be only the second set of eight babies born in the United States.
- American novelist John Updike (Pulitzer prize for Rabbit series, Rabbit, Run, Couples, Rabbit Redux, The Witches of Eastwick, Memories of the Ford Administration) dies at age 76 from lung cancer.
- Sir Paul Stephenson is appointed Commissioner of London's Metropolitan Police Service. (BBC)
- At least one person is killed and eight wounded by Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip. (Australian News)
- Seven people die in a murder-suicide in Wilmington, California. (mercurynews.com)
- Florida hedge fund manager Arthur Nadel is arrested by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation and charged with fraud. (Bloomberg)
- The United Kingdom Information Tribunal orders Her Majesty's Government to release the minutes of Cabinet discussions regarding the 2003 invasion of Iraq. (AP via Google News)
- United Kingdom Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Peter Mandelson unveils a £2.3-billion bailout for the British motor industry. (BBC)
- Iran will have enough enriched uranium to make a single nuclear weapon later this year, the International Institute for Strategic Studies predicts. (Sky News)
- Two crew members escape a FedEx ATR 42 that crashed at Texas's Lubbock Preston Smith International Airport. (Lubbock Online) amp!-- More notable than it at first looks the destruction of such aircraft should be mentioned here. Major crashes on big commercial aircraft are rare enough for a mention here consider for example that this could easily have been a passenger plane, which would generally get better attention than an otherwise identical event on the cargo equivelant. --amp
- The ninth World Social Forum is held in Belém, Brazil. (SwissInfo)
- A man hijacks a bus in Bulgaria and holds the 37 passengers hostage for two hours before surrendering. (Reuters)
- A special leaders meeting of the Pacific Islands Forum, held in Papua New Guinea, sets a deadline of 1 May for Fiji to set a date for elections before the end of the year. Fiji rejects the deadline. (Xinhua)
- John Updike dies.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?