Monday 27 June 2011
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Rolling In The Deep by Adele.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon, directed by Michael Bay, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Heaven Is for Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 June 2011!
Which were the important events of 27 June 2011 ?
- National HIV Testing Day in United States
- National Veterans' Day in the United Kingdom 
- Stonewall Day (date of many gay pride celebrations, including those in New York City, San Francisco, Toronto, and Madrid)
- Feast of St Cyril of Alexandria
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 27 June
- Arab Spring:
- 2011 Syrian uprising:
- Dozens of dissidents, some of whom were previously imprisoned by the regime, attend a conference in Damascus. It is the first such conference. (BBC)
- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad announces that his government will invite opposition figures to talks to be held in July to set the framework for a national dialogue that he has promised, and that constitutional changes would be on the agenda. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- The International Criminal Court at The Hague issues an arrest warrant for Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, and two of his relatives, his son Saif al-Islam Gaddafi and intelligence chief Abdullah Senussi for alleged ampquotcrimes against humanityampquot. (CNN)
- Bahraini uprising:
- The trial of 47 medical personnel, accused of working against the government during large protests in Bahrain earlier this year resumes and is immediately adjourned human rights groups say Bahrain is targeting medical professionals for treating protesters. (CNN)
- War in Afghanistan:
- Seven civilians, including children, are killed by two separate roadside mines in Afghanistan's eastern Ghazni Province an 8-year-old girl was killed when militants gave her a remote-controlled explosive in a bag and told her to give it to police officers in Oruzgan Province. (CNN)
- Conflicts in Pakistan:
- The Pakistani Taliban said two of the three suicide bombers who killed 10 police officers Saturday in northwestern Pakistan were a married couple 15 policemen were taken hostage by other miltants before security forces killed six of them. (CNN)
- One person is killed during an attack on a train in Sudan. (BBC)
- Iran announces plans to conduct a military exercise and test the Sajjil long-range missile, which is reportedly capable of striking Israel or southeastern Europe. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- Overseas artists are ampquotpoorly treatedampquot by the UK's ampquotabsurd visa bureaucracyampquot according to a letter signed by dozens of prominent artists, including David Hare, Tom Stoppard, Salman Rushdie, Hanif Kureishi, Philip Pullman, Antonia Fraser, Michael Morpurgo and Sarah Waters. The letter suggests Abbas Kiarostami and Grigory Sokolov have already been ampquotdissuaded from future visitsampquot. (''The Economic Times'')
- The University of York purchases a tonne of material relating to Alan Ayckbourn for £240,000 and plans to make it available to the general public and online. (''The Guardian'')
- Old people are using Facebook in the United Kingdom more and more according to Nielsen. (BBC)
- Greek economic crisis:
- The Parliament of Greece begins debate on unpopular austerity measures designed to avert the threat of bankruptcy through a 78-billion-euro rescue package. (Bloomberg)
- The Los Angeles Dodgers file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. (ESPN.com)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?