Wednesday 27 September 1961
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Christopher J Perry and Irvine Welsh.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Take Good Care Of My Baby by Bobby Vee.
In UK Johnny Remember Me by John Leyton was in the top 5 hits.
Paris Blues, directed by Martin Ritt, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Gestatten - Mein Name ist Cox.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 September 1961!
Which were the important events of 27 September 1961 ?
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Mashfyyat (Will) - First day of the eleventh month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- RC Saints - Saint Vincent de Paul
- Ethiopian Orthodox Church - Meskel
- Also see September 27 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- French Republican Calendar - Balsamine (Impatiens) Day, sixth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Belgium - French Community Day
- Christopher J Perry: Edenton, North Carolina -- PGA golfer (1987 Kemper Open-2nd).
- Irvine Welsh: Scottish writer.
- Andy Lau: Hong Kong actor and singer.
- Hilda Doolittle: American writer of novels and poetry, known as HD, a nickname given to her by poet Ezra Pound, with whom she was romantically linked.
- Sandy Koufax sets NL strikeout season record at 269
- Sierre Leone becomes the 100th member of the United Nations.
- Sierra Leone joins the United Nations.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 27 September 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- Dick and DeeDee - The Mountain's High
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Roy Orbison - Crying
- Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bedpost Over Night) - Lonnie Donegan and His Skiffle Group
- Elvis Presley - Little Sister
- Barry Mann - Who Put The Bomp (In The Bomp, Bomp, Bomp)
- The Jive Five - My True Story
- Johnny Tillotson - Without You
- Elvis Presley - (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?